Bent Frame

FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT, TO REPLACING CRINKLED FENDERS TO SWAPPING A NEWER FRONT END ON, TO SHAVING DOOR HANDLES. TO REPLACING DOOR HANDLES OR INSTALLING CUSTOM TAIL LIGHTS, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Bent Frame

Post by CaptSquid »

May 2012, I was issued (yes, issued) a Class III receiver hitch, a Harmar Lift and a Pride Maxima power scooter to help me get around. Initially, Klementine squatted a bit in the rear due to approximately 400 lbs behind the bumper. The hitch was installed correctly, but the company providing the lift and scooter saw the van for the first and only time when they delivered the scooter. The installer was about that close to being totally inept. When he attached the wires to the battery, he cut a huge notch out of the insulating plastic, leaving a lot of terminal exposed. He even wired the license light to the left rear marker instead of wiring it into the trailer harness (yes, I have the harness in the right rear). He didn't even offer to install helper springs.

Anyway, over the course of the year and driving about on Billings' notoriously "smooth" streets, the lift now sits approximately 4" from the pavement in the rear and the receiver hitch is approximately 6" above the pavement. The manufacturer recommends a minimum of 12". I got the van on a lift the other day and took a series of pictures, revealing the extent of the damage.

Can this be repaired?
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Bent Frame

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Hard to tell from the pic. Got any from further away? I am sure it can be fixed.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by CaptSquid »

Without uploading a zillion bytes of photos, I did get more information.

First, I resorted to guerilla tactics. The company that did the delivery/installation, at first, said that the first set of photos (I'll admit, they were very poor) showed no damage that they could discern. They asked that the company that installed the Class III hitch evaluate the situation. THEY WERE THE ONES WHO TOLD ME THAT THE "FRAME" WAS DAMAGED! So, I sent the series of hi-def photos back to this twit. To date, I have received NO response.

Drastic measures were in order. I then sent the letter to the VA and to the manufacturer of the lift mechanism. The VA has yet to respond, but the manufacturer (Harmar) responded the very next day. They told me to get an estimate for the repair and also the cost of a Class III hitch that is more adequate for the purpose. The one specified and ordered by the installer only had two bolt holes per side; the one that SHOULD have been installed has FOUR bolt holes per side; of course, one pays more for the four additional holes. Naturally, the installer specified the less expensive one.

I took the van to a shop in town that specializes in frame repairs for an estimate. The good news is that the damage can be repaired and beefed up. The bad news is that it will take approximately one week and about $3000. The really good news is that Harmar will foot the bill.

Now, the $64 question: Should I get the repairs or should I shop for a used truck-based SUV?
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

If they are paying the repairs and beefing up I would do that. The net cost to you is zero but they will not hand you $3000 to go truck shopping. The other thing is at least you know the issues with your truck but you might be into new and different headaches with a new to you used truck.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I agree. Get it fixed unless there are underlying drivetrain issues.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy