roof rack repair

FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT, TO REPLACING CRINKLED FENDERS TO SWAPPING A NEWER FRONT END ON, TO SHAVING DOOR HANDLES. TO REPLACING DOOR HANDLES OR INSTALLING CUSTOM TAIL LIGHTS, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

roof rack repair

Post by MountainManJoe »

Hey guys.

I had to grind off one of the rivet nuts that hold down the rear end cap of the roof rack, and now I need to reattach it somehow. Obviously I don't have a rivet nut tool, so I'm interested in suggestions for fasteners, sealing products, gaskets and generally keeping the environment out. Surely someone has done this before.

:cheers:

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Re: roof rack repair

Post by Astrophysics »

You can buy Riv nut tool and assortment of alum and steel riv nuts from McMaster Carr for about $80.
It is a great tool for building lots of projects.

Or go to the local sports rack suppliet of Thule and Yakima roof racks. They often have the roof rail kits and should be able to give you some ideas. It sounds like you may need to remove your roof rail to repair and install new riv nut. May have to just install 1/4 bolt and cut out some of headliner to replace just one fastener.

Astrophysics

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Can a regular rivet tool do the rivnuts too? If so I can borrow one.

You don't have to remove the rail, or cut any headliner to access the rearmost nuts. You remove the bolts (hopefully) and the end brackets slides off the rail. The headliner easily drops after removing a few trim pieces and seatbelt hangers.

I'm hesitant about using rivnuts, because the OEM ones corrode and seize on every Astrofari van I've seen, and the bolts snap right off. As I said, I only had to grind one off. The other three (rear only) were in very similar shape so I'm not sure if I'll reuse those. On the other hand, it could take years for it to seize again, and I may never need to service it again. :-k I sure don't want to spend $80.

v8famvan
I sleep in my van

Post by v8famvan »

You can make your own DIY rivnut installer using:
- A bolt of the same thread
- A nut (that is slightly too large for the bolt)
- A star washer
Assemble in this order, Rivnut, star washer, nut and bolt. Apply some grease/lubricant to the bolt threads & to the area where the underside of bolt head contacts the nut. Snug the pieces together, put a wrench on the nut and turn the bolt.
What should happen - the star washer should bite into the nut and the top flange of the rivnut. Holding the nut with a wrench should stop the rivnut from turning, while turning the bolt should cause the rivnut to collapse/install.
James from B.C.
1992 Safari - R.I.P.
GM Grand Master Techncian

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Thanks, that's a great idea. The existing rivnuts are closed at one end (probably to seal better), so I would need an extra threaded nut on there.

Maybe I'll put O-rings on both sides of the rivnut, some anti-seize on the bolt, and another o-ring under the bolt head or perhaps some RTV silicone. That should help keep the water out.