door striker area cracked?

FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT, TO REPLACING CRINKLED FENDERS TO SWAPPING A NEWER FRONT END ON, TO SHAVING DOOR HANDLES. TO REPLACING DOOR HANDLES OR INSTALLING CUSTOM TAIL LIGHTS, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

door striker area cracked?

Post by markmitchinnh »

The sheet metal where the striker bolts through is cracked inside the drivers door opening. Can I removed the striker and weld a patch over the cracked area and then drill it for the striker? Anyone ever seen this happen and if so how do I fix it?
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.
Bought on Monday the 16th of April 2012

okie1
I sleep in my van

Re: door striker area cracked?

Post by okie1 »

Yup it is common, after 21 years in auto body business I have seen many that way. About the only fix is what you suggested, by welding in a plate, relocating the striker, adjusting the door then finishing and painting.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Re: door striker area cracked?

Post by markmitchinnh »

OK thank you, I am buying a new welder by the end of the month so I hope it lasts till then.
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.
Bought on Monday the 16th of April 2012