Exterior Driver's Door Handle Replacing TROUBLE

FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT, TO REPLACING CRINKLED FENDERS TO SWAPPING A NEWER FRONT END ON, TO SHAVING DOOR HANDLES. TO REPLACING DOOR HANDLES OR INSTALLING CUSTOM TAIL LIGHTS, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
Vanjoe
I get chills without my van.

Exterior Driver's Door Handle Replacing TROUBLE

Post by Vanjoe »

I did searches all over, read all the "How To's", I've done a couple in past years, BUT this '98 Astro door handle is trouble.
I removed the latch and used a socket on extension to access the handle mounting bolts. No problem removing or installing. BUT, the pivoting part on the handle that you attach the linkage to HITS the back side of the window channel!!!
I bent it to the right to work behind the channel but it doesn't stay square to the linkage and the linkage pops out. So I re-bent it to the left. Did a double bend,left right to put a step into it and now it works nice and is located behind the window channel, between the channel and the outside door skin. HOWEVER, being behind the channel, I can't seem to get the linkage inserted into the hole in it!! Can you follow me on what I just wrote??? HELP! I am replacing it so it is all goos before I drop it at a garage tonight . SO I need quick help.

Anyone have trouble with a new, out of the box, replacement handle ? Compared to the old one, I don't see enough difference to cause it to hit . Anyone ever find their window track out of place? I just don't understand why it goes in so nice but hits the window track. Help.......
Joe.
I will take it all apart in a bit and take pictures of the exterior opening showing the window track and whatever else seems pertinent.
1998 Astro. Sterling Hi-top Conversion. 1st Second gen owned.
Former ....
90 Astro shorty conversion,$500 short term driver
91 ext Astro bad body,bad motor $325, became a 350/4bl cruiser with all under hood acces working.TOTALED..my fault
88 Astro shorty conversion 177k-270k,threw rod. $2500
85 Astro mint body ...totaled 9 days later...not my fault. Paid $1k, insurance gave me $2k
86 Astro shorty 147k-242k, $2500. sold running!

Topic author
Vanjoe
I get chills without my van.

Re: Exterior Driver's Door Handle Replacing TROUBLE

Post by Vanjoe »

Ooooops, never mind. I had talented help today and with 4 hands and various tools , did get it together.

But I am still puzzled about it hitting the window track. At least it is fixed after 4 years of being careful with the broken handle. And i just noticed..... the front passenger door handle is broken.... ](*,)
1998 Astro. Sterling Hi-top Conversion. 1st Second gen owned.
Former ....
90 Astro shorty conversion,$500 short term driver
91 ext Astro bad body,bad motor $325, became a 350/4bl cruiser with all under hood acces working.TOTALED..my fault
88 Astro shorty conversion 177k-270k,threw rod. $2500
85 Astro mint body ...totaled 9 days later...not my fault. Paid $1k, insurance gave me $2k
86 Astro shorty 147k-242k, $2500. sold running!

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Exterior Driver's Door Handle Replacing TROUBLE

Post by astroturf »

Dealer part, or "mic" label?