Door alignment

FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT, TO REPLACING CRINKLED FENDERS TO SWAPPING A NEWER FRONT END ON, TO SHAVING DOOR HANDLES. TO REPLACING DOOR HANDLES OR INSTALLING CUSTOM TAIL LIGHTS, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Door alignment

Post by MountainManJoe »

Clean out the grime.
brasspipecleaner.jpg
Tap in your new bushings.
newbush.jpg
Follow previous steps in reverse to reassemble. Make sure you get the pins in far enough so the barbed clips pop out.

Bob's yer unkle! Now the post lines up nicely with the latch.
alignment.JPG

krsowles
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by krsowles »

Don't know Bob but I bet he's proud! Thanks for the pics, mines up for tweaking too! Kelly
Sometimes, I realize that I'm clueless...Man, I hate those moments!
"S.S. Dark HoMutt"

1999 Chevy Astro AWD
1991 Chevy Astro AWD(retired)

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

timelessbeing wrote:Clean out the grime.
brasspipecleaner.jpg
Tap in your new bushings.
newbush.jpg
Follow previous steps in reverse to reassemble. Make sure you get the pins in far enough so the barbed clips pop out.

Bob's yer unkle! Now the post lines up nicely with the latch.
alignment.JPG
I an doing the door pins on the driver's side on Rufus this week.I am guessing someone else had been in there before and didn't put back the door spring.So because you used it on your van and pictured the door spring compressor tool in this thread,I picked one up before going to the pick and pull to get a spring.BTW-thank you for that.Man that spring does have some serious pressure!!.So I fought with getting one off a truck at the pick and pull until I figured out you have to pull out the wiring boot off and gain access to tighten the tool threw the hole from the wiring harness in the door.I am hoping that I can pull the pins without totally removing the door and having to remove the door panel/harness.Use a floor jack to support the door with a helper to hang on to it and just move it out far enough to be able to remove the bushings and replace them with new ones and then angle in the spring/tool to put back a spring.But the point of this thread is to say thanks for the tip on the door spring tool =D> .Without it I never would have gotten the spring off.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

The passenger door is grinding on the stud again already. ](*,)

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

timelessbeing wrote:Next, I removed the door trim. There are two torx bolts in the handle under some plastic covers, and one philips screw beside the tweeter. The rest is held with clips. Peel off the foam membrane and unplug all electrical connectors.
I just learned that this step is unnecessary ...
97CargoCrawler wrote:The wiring harness does unplug right down near the bottom of the side footwell near the parking brake. It is not to bad, just remove the cover plate there and unplug two connectors and the pull the boot out of the body along with the wires. The harness is maybe only a foot long past that boot as it goes into the van.