Grill Guard

FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT, TO REPLACING CRINKLED FENDERS TO SWAPPING A NEWER FRONT END ON, TO SHAVING DOOR HANDLES. TO REPLACING DOOR HANDLES OR INSTALLING CUSTOM TAIL LIGHTS, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
photo_van
I sleep in my van

Grill Guard

Post by photo_van »

Hey Astro fans. Can't say this was high on my list of mods, but after seeing Crawlers photo viewtopic.php?f=48&t=3535&start=15 I thought I'd check it out. Well Amazon has this guard for $89 free shipping. With $60 Amazon rewards, it's in the mail for $39! http://www.amazon.com/Aries-4063-Black- ... &carId=001
Well now, I guess I've got another project.... And maybe a HiLift point on the front?
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Grill Guard

Post by CaptSquid »

The Amazon price I saw was a bit higher than $89 -- more on the order of $319.00!
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

Topic author
photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

Wow, I just clicked on the link, the price went up last night! I just checked my charge; $34.16. I'm not usually the lucky one on this sort of thing. We'll see if they ship it.
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Topic author
photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

Just so you all don't think I'm pullin' your leg, the guard shipped today;
Screen shot 2011-08-26 at 4.27.19 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-08-26 at 4.27.19 PM.png (24.32 KiB) Viewed 11336 times
I'll post some pics re the install here when it happens.
1998 AWD/4WD
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

OKflyboy
I am smitten with my van

Post by OKflyboy »

Yup, shows up as $319 for me too, but if you got it for $96 thats awesome! Perhaps they realized that they mis-priced after you bought one.

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Gonna be a PITA to install. Expect to do A LOT of measuring and cutting on the bumper fascia if you plan to keep it (looks better if you do). Make SMALL holes first...then test fit and cut them bigger. Otherwise it'll look like $hit if you cut too much out. Not sure what parts you will get with your guard...but I was able to take what they gave me and repurpose all of it to work for me. At the time my welding skills sucked, someday I will pull it off again and weld some of the brackets to make it more sturdy. I would never use a hi-lift jack on my guard...it seems beefy enough but I doubt it could hold the weight of the front end. Good luck! I am very happy with the way mine turned out. I have yet to put some proper lights on it. Mine was for a 2500HD series truck.

As usual I have an assload of pix from my install if you need ideas. Both with and without the bumper fascia.

Just gimmie a shout! :supz:
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla

Topic author
photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

I was hoping you were still around. Thanks for the heads up. While I'd like to use it for the Hilift, it's not imperative, tho that's kinda why I was getting it (but for the price... \:D/ ). I've got lift points along both sides and the rear, thought it might be nice to have in the front also.

The guard is an Aries for a Sierra 2500, from the pics looked exactly like yours. I would certainly like to see install pics if at some point you have time (I definitely plan on keeping the facia) . I probably won't be able to get to it until this fall. I figured it was going to be a PITA, hopefully not as much work as the rock rails were!!! Ya, and my welding skills STILL aren't that great.

No lights? No winch? Sig pic Photoshopped?

Thanks
1998 AWD/4WD
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

I am trying to find grille guard to fit on my 2003 AWD. When i did the 2" OV lift i installed a 35" wide steel cross bar of square tube to create surface to mount the grille guard brackets. I don't weld yet, so used Simpson Strong tie HL57 welded heavy brackets to bolt it in.
I will send photos soon from pc, my kids got me this iPAD but i dont know how to attach photos with ipad
AP

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Oh yeah, the lights and winch are photo-shopped. I always do that to see how it will look before I try it. This was the intended look for the front of my van but of course $$$$ is always an issue. The main center uprights on my guard are 1/4" maybe 5/16" thick and so are the brackets. If the brackets were welded to the guard then I would say a winch might be possible. But a hi-lift point maybe not. All depends on if you have two bolts attached to the frame per side. BUT, on mine at least, the cross tubes on the guard are not beefy enough to take the weight. I was going to weld a heavy duty square tube in between but never got to it...and didn't want to melt off the powder coating welding it in.

I will dig up some pix in a bit for you. Once you see how my brackets are attached you'll see why I have my doubts. But once you break out the welder anything is possible!

Topic author
photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

Thanks guys, I'll keep a look out.
1998 AWD/4WD
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

I don't want to hijack your thread so I'll just post a few pix.

The whole thing started with a photo shop mock-up:

I thought it looked pretty cool so I ordered a 2500HD series truck guard not knowing if it would even come close to working. I got lucky!

Below you can see I only have one bolt going to the frame through Overlands bumper relocation bracket. I had intended to weld these two brackets together but never got to it. If i put a jack under the guard the whole thing would probably tweak upwards. You can also see that I had to cut slits in the metal bumper. I also had to drill my own mounting holes in the guard uprights, nothing will line up with the holes they provide.

Sorry, I don't have very good pix of how I cut the fascia. But you can see here I ended up cutting out squares instead of slits. I cut way too much out and I was pretty pissed, hence why I say cut small holes then make them bigger as needed. That's much easier said than done though.

There is a little bit of a gap on the bottom side. I had wanted to make plates to cover it up but in the end it wasn't very noticeable so I left it alone.

I'm definitely pleased with the results and would do it again in a heartbeat. It sets me apart from all the other vans I see on the road.

The openings perectly outline the headlight/turn signal assembly and grille. The outer edges line up pretty good with the fender lips too.

I hope these pix help. Good luck! Take lots of pix for us! :guitar:
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla

Topic author
photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

Thanks for posting those, they will be VERY helpful. Does look like a bit of work, might make me finally fab some bumper brackets while I'm at it.
1998 AWD/4WD
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

unrreal
I get chills without my van.

Post by unrreal »

theres a few different ways you can mount the grill guard, you can check out my pics on the other forum.. but here's one for ya:
avalanche guard on astro
avalanche guard on astro
99 astro awd ls package, 3" bodylift, alarm system w/remote start, tinted windows, tranny cooler, modded air intake, bigger power steering cooler, hood struts, westin pushbar, hypertech tuned running on 91 octane, Hypertech 160* thermostat, 1 ton calipers and pads (not much of a difference as i expected)30" tall tires 245-65-17 on jeep wheels
here is a link to my pics: http://s795.photobucket.com/home/unrreal/allalbums

Topic author
photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

Thanks, looks good. My guard arrived, looks like it got nailed by the forklift driver; now I get to deal with returning it. No wonder it was cheap )>)

Also, Crawler: this one is for an 03-06 Sierra 2500 and it's way different than yours. The only one I see similar is actually for 99=02. This one won't work without serious modification!
1998 AWD/4WD
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Yup, Such a good deal, almost too good to be true eh?
Good luck with the return.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.