Sliding Door Frozen Shut Will Not Open

FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT, TO REPLACING CRINKLED FENDERS TO SWAPPING A NEWER FRONT END ON, TO SHAVING DOOR HANDLES. TO REPLACING DOOR HANDLES OR INSTALLING CUSTOM TAIL LIGHTS, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
Grover
I am smitten with my van

Sliding Door Frozen Shut Will Not Open

Post by Grover »

Tried doing a search and didn't find anything so I'm asking the question here.. :whistle:

It was a balmy 3C on Sunday here with lots of rain and well Sunday night everything turned to ice including my van.

All of the doors were frozen shut, I managed to get all of them open except for the sliding door. It just will not open. I have power locks.. the lock works no problem, just that I can't open the door at all from the outside anymore.

This is my first winter with a Safari so I'm a newbie to sliding doors. I kinda need to have it work because I use it for my business.. I don't have a garage I can put it in overnight to warm up or that's what I would do. Is there anything I can do or am I gonna have to wait til we get out of the deep freeze?

Thanks!

:-k

NotDadsW41
I sleep in my van

Re: Sliding Door Frozen Shut Will Not Open

Post by NotDadsW41 »

I'd start by running the van with the heater on high to get the inside good and hot and see if that doesn't work.

Then I would get inside. Pull the handle so that you know the latch is release and push on the back side of the door to see if you can free it up.
CD_S
1991 W41
1995 Astro - Now gone, I am Astroless.
1997 C1500
1989 9C1 Caprice
1997 Bonneville
1998 Olds 88 LS
http://forums.b-body.org - newly updated!

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

When you get it open spray everything with WD-40 or whatever your favorite lube is.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Smiliesafari wrote:When you get it open spray everything with WD-40 or whatever your favorite lube is.
I'll second this.

This isn't a common problem, but when the weather is working against you... I had mine freeze shut a few times when I lived in New England. If you keep your door seals lubed, it helps to keep them from freezing to the metal door.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

LOL.. must be our region grover. mine was fine on monday, until i came out of walmart as the temp took a dive monday night.

enter through one of the other doors and climb into the back. pull the handle as you would to open from the inside (with your left hand) and give the door a slam with the heel of your right had right at the furthest right of the door .. it'll open and your good. just be thankful your rears didn't freeze like my lower dutch doors did. where the water pools it was a solid block of ice and ripped half of the rubberize foam weather strip off on the left lower. ugh
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

The owner's manual recommends using silicone grease on weatherstrips. I think it's safer and WD-40 will break them down over time.

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

as crash stated "right had right at the furthest right of the door" and you should be in business!
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

leadtrombone
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by leadtrombone »

The same thing happend to me the other day. Went to open, the latches released but the door was stuck.

I push on it to make it latch again, put mu cargo (little like it was) in the passenger seat.

Drive off.. Get about 5 miles and the slider slides open.. Oooops..

Just warm it up.. and i got some anti-freeze stuff for the seals for next time..
1999 Safari SLE. Stock. Proud owner since May 2010. So far I love it..

P1050479 by leadtrombone, on Flickr

The old cars - my progression to here (most recent first)

1996 Honda Passport
1988 BMW 320i touring
1989 BMW 520
2005 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
2002 Dodge 1500 Quad Cab
1989 BMW 320i
1990 Toyota Tercel EZ
1991 Mitshubishi Mirage
1970 Mercedes Benz 250 Saloon

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

like crash said mine froze shut last year i got in the van held the latch with my left hand, laid on the seat and drop kicked it. after i get it open i sprayed the seals with silicone lube and haven't had the problem since (better do it again tonight before it freezes again)
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

reaper
I sleep in my van

Post by reaper »

GM has a silicone emulsion bottle that can be purchased
I have used it to free up slider seals & use it for doors etc.
1#10953014
90 Astro Cargo V-8
90 Artro RS - V-8 Now running!
& a bunch of tractors
"there's nothing like a V-8 Polluting the Environment"

Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Wiley »

My door was stuck as well, though it had nothing to do with the temps....but figured some pics could help others regardless. The problem was the rod connected to the door handle, while engaging, was not engaging far enough to release the mechanism opposite the handle on the side by the sliding door track. When I pulled on the rod by hand the door opened without a problem. I included a pic of the mechanism opposite the handle for reference, but aside from lubing it since I had it apart, I did not touch that part.

I also removed the sliding track to grease it while I was tearing things apart...pretty easy but a pain. Have to remove the rear panel and then simply remove the 4 screws which hold it on, as well as the 5th hidden behind the tail light, behind the black rubber stopper. Its only been a day but the door is working better than when I purchased it, heres to hoping it lasts. Grease often!

Hope it helps.
Attachments
Entire mechanism by door handle
Entire mechanism by door handle
This is the mechanism opposite the door handle, near sliding track
This is the mechanism opposite the door handle, near sliding track
Here is the rod in the black clip which needed adjustment
Here is the rod in the black clip which needed adjustment
Open the black clip and pull out rod to adjust slightly, re-insert and close.....abracadabra open sesame.
Open the black clip and pull out rod to adjust slightly, re-insert and close.....abracadabra open sesame.
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley