Cladding swap?

FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT, TO REPLACING CRINKLED FENDERS TO SWAPPING A NEWER FRONT END ON, TO SHAVING DOOR HANDLES. TO REPLACING DOOR HANDLES OR INSTALLING CUSTOM TAIL LIGHTS, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Cladding swap?

Post by Captn. Crunch »

I’ve recently picked up a 2003 Safari SLT AWD to replace my trusty rusty 99 test mule. The 03 came with running boards while the 99 SLE did not. I need to lose the running boards to make room for rock sliders so I’m looking to swap the cladding off the 99 onto the 03. Anyone know if all the parts are mix and match swappable?
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Cladding swap?

Post by MountainManJoe »

I don't see why not. The body didn't change after '95.

Topic author
Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Re: Cladding swap?

Post by Captn. Crunch »

I had the chance to put the van on a lift Sunday and tore into removing the running boards. I can tell you that these things were in NO danger of falling off! The number of screws, rivets, brackets and hangers was ridiculous. When I finally did get them off I had a mini heart attack as there was a band of heavy rust scale that ran the full length of the rocker panel. Upon closer inspection, it appeared that the rust was actually a strip of metal that must have had something to do with fastening the boards to the rockers as it also had a row of tech screws imbedded in the rust and adhesive underneath. It chiseled off with minimal effort and a scotchbrite pad on an air grinder cleaned it up revealing solid rockers! Whew!!
So I’ll be pulling the rubber plugs and spraying rust inhibitor inside the rockers then spraying white bedliner on the front and back of the rockers before swapping over the wheel well and bottom strip trim from my ‘99.
I’m glad I got this done and caught this ugly mess hiding under the plastic before it got into the rockers.
I was also intrigued with all the factory bracketry used to mount the running boards. I’m looking forward to trying to incorporate them into mounting rock sliders soon
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s