Truck topper for DIY high top?

FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT, TO REPLACING CRINKLED FENDERS TO SWAPPING A NEWER FRONT END ON, TO SHAVING DOOR HANDLES. TO REPLACING DOOR HANDLES OR INSTALLING CUSTOM TAIL LIGHTS, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
Spdcrazy
I am merely driving my van

Truck topper for DIY high top?

Post by Spdcrazy »

I've seen a lot of diy high tops. From wooden framed ply wood things. To fancy fiberglass boat work worth stuff.

But has anyone used a fiberglass truck topper as a basic start? Obviously it would need some modifications for the front and rear to seal and be even remotely aerodynamic. But is it a good place to start maybe?

If anyone has done this, I would love to see pics. Or shop talk this idea through at least.

H2OJoe
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Truck topper for DIY high top?

Post by H2OJoe »

I don't know about a truck topper but check out a video (youtube I think) called Compassing. It's about a surfer that built a high top for his van. Good luck with your project.
2001 Astro LT AWD "Redneck Edition", 4" Custom Lift, 30x9.5R15LT on stock wheels, Hightop conversion, custom interior, custom roof racks, external solar shower, front recovery points. SOLD

1997 Astro LS AWD Starting build soon.

Topic author
Spdcrazy

Post by Spdcrazy »

H2OJoe wrote:I don't know about a truck topper but check out a video (youtube I think) called Compassing. It's about a surfer that built a high top for his van. Good luck with your project.

I'll check it out. I have plenty of time. This will be a project for next spring anyways.

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

I don't think building one... even one that looks reasonably good... would be too difficult. That being said, I've got to think a person could find a clapped out hi-top Astro or Safari for pretty cheap and just take the top off of it. (Who knows, maybe the rest of the van could be parted as well to recoup the cash.)
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Topic author
Spdcrazy

Post by Spdcrazy »

I think you are correct. Only thing a truck topper would do is give me more flexibility on amount of height and length of the diy high top. Which would give me a regular height near the front of the cab for my roof top tent. Trying to keep it from being 4 stories off the ground.