replacing driver side exterior door handle OMG

FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT, TO REPLACING CRINKLED FENDERS TO SWAPPING A NEWER FRONT END ON, TO SHAVING DOOR HANDLES. TO REPLACING DOOR HANDLES OR INSTALLING CUSTOM TAIL LIGHTS, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
spyboy
I am merely driving my van

replacing driver side exterior door handle OMG

Post by spyboy »

This is my first post in a long time van has been wonderful, then the door handle broke! Checked out forum, bookmarked proper pages finally broke old handle enough to get top nut off, quickly got the bottom nut on new handle and located top stud of new handle! After spending 4 hrs chasing the top nut through every nook and cranny of the door I ran out of battery power, sunlight and patience,.,. As I was closing up to begin again tomorrow I realized that the lock bar that you take off during installation had come off the top also ( I disconnected from bottom ). Not thinking I figured I could find top location tomorrow when I returned, closed up and closed door, Ha Ha. now I can not open door, with the key or inside handle.
I guess I'll need to disassemble door panel with door closed to open door tomorrow .. what a mess! My fingers might be to big to ever get that top nut on! I experimented with a flexible grapping Prong tool ( I used that to install bottom nut very easy ) and got really close from a couple of different existing holes. Wondering if I cut a hole or enlarge an existing one inside the door to make a way to install top nut, has anyone done that? Any ideas? Thanks :-({|=
2001 AWD Astro SLE, "too stock"

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Re: replacing driver side exterior door handle OMG

Post by Astrophysics »

A bi metal hole saw from Lowes or HD could make nice extra access hole . Sand , prime, and paint after cutting and even put tape on edges to cover sharp edge.

Good luck.

AP

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Big diameter hole saw , say greater than 3" , can be dangerous and sprain your wrist if it catches an edge, use your left hand with light grip on drll and don't wrap thumb.
If it bucks just drop it

Safety First
Adventure Always

Topic author
spyboy

Post by spyboy »

OK did not do any cutting but got it done quickly. To get the top nut on I used a #10 smaller open end and I put duct tape on the nut so the fit was tight and I did not have to have the nut square in the wrench, so I could put a little angle to the nut to match the angle of the stud and one small turn and then nut started. yeah ya right! :muhaha:
2001 AWD Astro SLE, "too stock"