starting my diesel swap, 4cyl MB diesel engine into 89 Astro

GOT THE URGE FOR BLOWING BLACK SMOKE, NEED TOWING POWER, OR JUST WANT GREAT FUEL ECONOMY? POST UP YOUR DIESEL SWAP QUESTIONS HERE.

Topic author
tinworm
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: starting my diesel swap, 4cyl MB diesel engine into 89 A

Post by tinworm »

So close on the MB fan!

It fits between the motor and radiator like it wants to be there-

except for-

Looks like im going electric. Otherwise id be cutting down each fan blade by 1.5 inches to clear with enough room with the engine moving. I doubt that would be worth the time over just finding something electric approximately 18 inchs across

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

A fan out of a Ford Taurus 3.8L car works awesome. They pull enough air on low speed to keep most anything cool. Hook it up with a variable speed controller and be done with it.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
tinworm
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by tinworm »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:A fan out of a Ford Taurus 3.8L car works awesome. They pull enough air on low speed to keep most anything cool. Hook it up with a variable speed controller and be done with it.
good call, ill check out the yards. Ive got one on order that was fairly inexpensive and had really positive reviews also

Topic author
tinworm
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by tinworm »

wow check this out-

just about ready to fill the cooling system on the 617 and popped the overflow tank cap.

Looks like the 616 must have developed some kind of secret head gasket problem. No running issues, ran really well and at about 165 degrees average no matter the load. Started in really cold temp no problem also.
Also weird as no brown gunk in the radiator cap either and the coolant looked good. I know this is new because this tank was clean when I first did the conversion.

It has to be motor oil, there is nothing else it can really be. Kinda messes up my plans for that motor, but its on a stand, so replacing the head gasket can come with replacing all the leaking seals and timing chain as well I guess.

Topic author
tinworm
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by tinworm »

it lives!

Just need to work out a leaking brake fitting on my relocation setup, but its ready to test drive.

first start, air problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n41CPUq6kyY

second start, rebled the air issue and it runs great!
Also got to try out the open vac line shutoff, boy is that effective. Psyched to go for a test drive now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCy6p5eDw2c

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

Congrats, I'm starting to believe you can make anything work... Stan
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

Topic author
tinworm
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by tinworm »

HPbyStan wrote:Congrats, I'm starting to believe you can make anything work... Stan
hahaha, I only post the times I get lucky and usually don't post the experiments. :D
you should see the pile of broken parts and shattered dreams from when I tried to adapt a bell housing on two transmission applications for my other car. I had to take the thing apart about 8 times and build a bunch of different jigs as I blew it repeatedly.

thanks though!

Topic author
tinworm
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by tinworm »

so some other pics I forgot to upload related to the 617 vs the 616 installation.

Aftermarket electric fan I bought off amazon, its actually quite nice for the 30 something dollars I paid. (!). It also had great reviews, im interested to see how it holds up, and i have it rigged for a manual on off right now until I work out the temperature controls and rig something up.

fits pretty nicely with the 617, good amount of space-

I had to get a little interesting with the coolant passage that comes out of the driver rear of the head. On the 616 I went up and over, but that created a lot of room issues for the air filtration, so this time decided to go down, under, and around.

It travels behind the oil filter, around the lower oil pan, then up to the connection under the climate control airbox

also made a slight, but very important change that I neglected earlier. The GM radiator uses an upper and lower fan shroud as a clamshell to hold the radiator in place, with the 616, the lower shroud was brittle and shattered, so I only had a modified upper shroud.
For 8 thousand miles ive been driving around with the radiator staying in place only by the stiffness of these rubber mounts in the lower position, with no additional support to them!-
Fortunately some metal tabs worked perfectly to support the rubber and prevent an eventual disaster

Here is my stock benz downpipe-

I have to do a little follow up work here, as you can see the bellows mount is broken and loose-

I was able to extract the broken bolt and am working on remaking or repairing this bracket.
I have it bolted up with the upper bolt and have the exhaust almost done, but I definitely need to return and fix this long term

Topic author
tinworm
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by tinworm »

finally time for me to put some tires on this thing!

Right now I have P205/75 R15s
With the 3.5 body lift, id like to go with a taller beefier looking tire that fills the well a bit better than this

any suggestions on size?

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

Did you see my wiring diagram for when I put the Z28 electric fans in my '04 cargo. I don't see why a plan like that wouldn't work for you as the computer has nothing to do with it.
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

Topic author
tinworm
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by tinworm »

HPbyStan wrote:Did you see my wiring diagram for when I put the Z28 electric fans in my '04 cargo. I don't see why a plan like that wouldn't work for you as the computer has nothing to do with it.
I did not, ill have to check that out!

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

tinworm wrote:finally time for me to put some tires on this thing!

With the 3.5 body lift, id like to go with a taller beefier looking tire that fills the well a bit better than this

any suggestions on size?
You did a lift but then a drop too, so your basically still at stock height more or less?
Maybe one of these?
225/75/15 - 28"ish
235/75/15 - 29"ish might rub a bunch without a true lift, but I run these on the rear of my 2wd in the winter just fine.
Doubt they will steer very well in front with NO lift though.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
tinworm
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by tinworm »

doyoulikeithere wrote:
tinworm wrote:finally time for me to put some tires on this thing!

any suggestions on size?
You did a lift but then a drop too, so your basically still at stock height more or less?
Maybe one of these?
225/75/15 - 28"ish
235/75/15 - 29"ish might rub a bunch without a true lift, but I run these on the rear of my 2wd in the winter just fine.
Doubt they will steer very well in front with NO lift though.
I ordered up some 235/75/R15s after looking longingly at pics on here and how great it looks on a gen 1. I did the 3.5 inch lift, combined with a 2 inch drop, so overall it works out to a 1.5 inch lift on the front. Thanks for the tip!

Topic author
tinworm
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by tinworm »

Well, I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that the 617 motor is an absolute blast with the 4.56 diff, ive been flooring around for a couple days on it, and its great.

The bad news is I think the 8k miles with the wrong depth pilot bearing may have damaged the T5 in here. Its making some really alarming noises.
When I first drained it, I definitely had some metal fleck in the fluid. Ill take a drive around the block and shoot a video of the noises its making.

EDIT- you know what it sounds like? it sounds exactly like the flywheel is contacting the bolts again like the first time. Guess what has to come down for the 4th or 5th time. My old friend, mr. T5!
Last edited by tinworm on Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

like I was sayin. those 235-75s might be a tad large for the front.
My fronts rubbed before trimming with a 4" lift.
I heard the NV4500 is a good GBX.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.