The first diesel Astro conversion??.

GOT THE URGE FOR BLOWING BLACK SMOKE, NEED TOWING POWER, OR JUST WANT GREAT FUEL ECONOMY? POST UP YOUR DIESEL SWAP QUESTIONS HERE.

Topic author
GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

The first diesel Astro conversion??.

Post by GEJ »

There are a number of new members now.I thought I would bring up the age old question again.Who here is going to swap the first diesel into a Astro??.I can tell you all it won't be me,but it is a subject of common interest. :-k
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: The first diesel Astro conversion??.

Post by Cobra »

diesel sounds intresting especially because i do long runs and intend to be towing but i know it won't be me for some reason the idea of working on a diesel frightens me (not like i really know anything about ICE's either tho), not the mention the cost and availability of parts not for me
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

astro355
I get chills without my van.

Post by astro355 »

GEJ wrote:There are a number of new members now.I thought I would bring up the age old question again.Who here is going to swap the first diesel into a Astro??.I can tell you all it won't be me,but it is a subject of common interest. :-k
Well, gary. I was going to say whats the point until my wife reminded me about that V8 in my van. ](*,)
Not a member of the good ole boys.

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

astro355 wrote:
GEJ wrote:There are a number of new members now.I thought I would bring up the age old question again.Who here is going to swap the first diesel into a Astro??.I can tell you all it won't be me,but it is a subject of common interest. :-k
Well, gary. I was going to say whats the point until my wife reminded me about that V8 in my van. ](*,)

Someone's always reminding ya about the V8's. If its not the wife, then its the family dog. Sheesh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNvdnZ04Tjc
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

would the mileage be high enough to offset the high cost of diesel these days? down here, diesel is still more expensive than premium gas.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

COMP
I am smitten with my van

Post by COMP »

you could run bio

astro355
I get chills without my van.

Post by astro355 »

T.Low wrote:
astro355 wrote:

Someone's always reminding ya about the V8's. If its not the wife, then its the family dog. Sheesh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNvdnZ04Tjc
:withstupid:
Not a member of the good ole boys.

Rockwerx
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Rockwerx »

kings-x59 wrote:would the mileage be high enough to offset the high cost of diesel these days? down here, diesel is still more expensive than premium gas.
This would depend on which engine you used of course. There are many good reasons to run a diesel. Some of them you can tweak for more performance which usually makes them perform better on fuel...kind of backwards to a gas engine. The more you tune up a diesel, the better the fuel economy you get in just about every application...weather you are towing, racing or just cruising. Due to the nature of the fuel (more of an oil than a solvent), diesels last many times longer than gas engines.

I have been running diesels for almost 30 years and they just keep building them better and better. Some of the newer ones with electronic controls are using multiple event fuel injections per power cycle to gain more power and torque. These newer diesels run alot quieter and are WAY more fuel efficient than the last generation of diesels.

At one point I had measured everything to install a GM 6.5 turbo diesel into our favorite vans. It would fit with some major mods to the heating/AC system on the firewall. The next challenge would be to install a large enough rad and intercooler. This swap would give a guy lots to fabricate, but in the end you would have a pretty hot towing machine.

If you are going just for fuel economy then I would find a smaller 4 cyclinder or even a small inline 6 cylinder turbo diesel (Izuzu, Cummins, VW). What ever diesel engine one uses I would make sure that it is turbo charged. You will not realize the fuel potential in power/torque/fuel economy without a trubo on a diesel engine.
1988 V8 Safari Panel
1985 V8 Astro Panel
1990 V8 Astro LT AWD Lifted
1988 V6 Astro Panel
1990 V6 Astro Panel
1991 V6 Safari SLT AWD bad engine knock
19?? V6 Safari SLT for parts

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

I've thinking of the diesel swap for a while. I think the easiest swap fit wise at the moment would be a diesel engine from either a wrecked Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD or Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD. Ideally GM would hurry up and get their new 4.5L Duramax to market and then swap that in.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

COMP
I am smitten with my van

Post by COMP »

a GM 6.5 would be a beast

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Rockwerx wrote:
kings-x59 wrote:would the mileage be high enough to offset the high cost of diesel these days? down here, diesel is still more expensive than premium gas.
This would depend on which engine you used of course. There are many good reasons to run a diesel. Some of them you can tweak for more performance which usually makes them perform better on fuel...kind of backwards to a gas engine. The more you tune up a diesel, the better the fuel economy you get in just about every application...weather you are towing, racing or just cruising. Due to the nature of the fuel (more of an oil than a solvent), diesels last many times longer than gas engines.

I have been running diesels for almost 30 years and they just keep building them better and better. Some of the newer ones with electronic controls are using multiple event fuel injections per power cycle to gain more power and torque. These newer diesels run alot quieter and are WAY more fuel efficient than the last generation of diesels.

At one point I had measured everything to install a GM 6.5 turbo diesel into our favorite vans. It would fit with some major mods to the heating/AC system on the firewall. The next challenge would be to install a large enough rad and intercooler. This swap would give a guy lots to fabricate, but in the end you would have a pretty hot towing machine.

If you are going just for fuel economy then I would find a smaller 4 cyclinder or even a small inline 6 cylinder turbo diesel (Izuzu, Cummins, VW). What ever diesel engine one uses I would make sure that it is turbo charged. You will not realize the fuel potential in power/torque/fuel economy without a trubo on a diesel engine.

I think Mr_Roboto who has spent tons of time looking at different turbo set-ups has said a V8 diesel would take a down stream turbo to fit it into a Astro.So as the saying goes-"build it and they will come".That is design a kit and they will buy.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

Was it Badassbee that was working on the 6.2 install? I wonder how that one is coming along anyways.

At work right now I'm driving a turbo 6.0 Powerstroke. As much as I am not a fan of FORD I have to admit this freaking truck just hauls ass. I wonder if a Powerstroke is possible.

Best swap tho would defiantly have to be a 4BT. I've seen a few popping up around here for sale and everytime I see one it takes an amazing amount of will power to not just go run and buy it.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

TheHarv
I am merely driving my van

Post by TheHarv »

I believe there was a thread on the Overland Van site. Possibly the owner before Dan. I will have to see if it it still there.
Harv
http://www.overlandvans.com/0104_diesel.html

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

TheHarv wrote:I believe there was a thread on the Overland Van site. Possibly the owner before Dan. I will have to see if it it still there.
Harv
http://www.overlandvans.com/0104_diesel.html

Wow-I don't remember seeing that ref before.All along I thought the cummins was too long.Very interesting for sure.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

TheHarv

Post by TheHarv »

I have been watching for one of those motors but having been unemployed for a while makes it not even reasonable to consider right now. #-o