6.5 l swap (now don't get excited!)

GOT THE URGE FOR BLOWING BLACK SMOKE, NEED TOWING POWER, OR JUST WANT GREAT FUEL ECONOMY? POST UP YOUR DIESEL SWAP QUESTIONS HERE.

Someone
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: 6.5 l swap (now don't get excited!)

Post by Someone »

I still think a k2500 with a 4.3 will suck ass and gas.... in my opinion I would part out the truck, it easily has $1000-1500 in value if it is in good enough shape to bother putting a V6 back in. you could propably get 750 - 1000 for the box alone if it is in one piece., you will be left with another $200 in scrap metal at the end.... alot easier than trying to get the 4.3 hooked up in there, then buy your son a truck with a V8 so that it is not usless... It is not like he wont be able to handle the power of a v8... trucks are not fast and 4.3 fullsize trucks are horrible on gas.

I think it is better to start your kids off with a little power... teachs them resposibility early... My first car was a '79 trans am with a big block and a 4spd... I have a perfect driving record with no accidents... learned how to keep that car pointed where I wanted it very quickly!

the friends that I have that started out driving tempos and cavaliers have tickets up the butt and all have been in accidents... because they never had to learn to control their vehicle and always wanted to go faster... I know my point of view is a little wacky but it makes sense to me :muhaha:
'98 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel
'89 4Runner SAS'ed, 38.5SX's, Mercedes OM617 Turbo Diesel
'98 Suburban K2500, Cummins 24Valve, 5spd 4x4
'03 VW Jetta TDI
'78 Vette 350 4spd

www.vehiclefleetsolutions.ca

Rockwerx
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Rockwerx »

I think that your latest plan is a good one. The pickup truck will have low enough gears that it will still work as a truck...he just won't want to haul real heavy loads. They put the 4.3 engine in lots of pickups. I have done a lot of similar swaps. One vehicle gets the engine of choice and the other gets what is left over. lol This will help keep your costs down on the project and still give your son a fairly new vehicle. If the 4.3 does not work out you can always upgrade it later. The project will give both of you some quality time together also. Good luck with your van!
1988 V8 Safari Panel
1985 V8 Astro Panel
1990 V8 Astro LT AWD Lifted
1988 V6 Astro Panel
1990 V6 Astro Panel
1991 V6 Safari SLT AWD bad engine knock
19?? V6 Safari SLT for parts

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

Someone wrote: the friends that I have that started out driving tempos and cavaliers have tickets up the butt and all have been in accidents... because they never had to learn to control their vehicle and always wanted to go faster... I know my point of view is a little wacky but it makes sense to me :muhaha:
I agree. My friends that started with small cars and what not all have tons of accidents and tickets. I had my share of em too when I was younger. I started with a Safari which ain't no trans am.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

Topic author
Jinmajay
I sleep in my van

Post by Jinmajay »

Another plus is that he will be in a Large vehicle. He is a good kid, responcible and has been driving something since the age of 5 (old white lawn mower without the mower deck). He still needs to learn road conditions and a bunch of other things that we all went through, but the main thing is that it will be newer, big, slow and easy to work on ( ans it helps me out too).

I respect all the comments, thanks

BTW
I got the guy down to $1200.00 if he doesn't sell it in the next few weeks.
The Tran man http://jayjensen.shutterfly.com/action/

1994 AWD GMC Safari, V8 truck van project
1998 2WD Astro
1999 AWD Astro