interchangeability questions-350 chevy

SWAPPING IN A 305, 350 OR ANY OTHER SMALL BLOCK, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

interchangeability questions-350 chevy

Post by markmitchinnh »

Ok so I have a 1995 350 engine, for cylinder heads I have late eighties 350 gm goodwrench replacements. Every thing I have ever read about 350 chevy engines tells me the only things not interchangeable is when you use vortec heads and yet the TBI intake does not fit? I am lost on this one, I even tried to drill the bolt holes bigger and still no dice. in the center of the intake the bolt holes are almost strait yet the corresponding holes in the cylinder heads are very much angled and a bit loser then the intake holes. Any one know whats up with this situation? Is there a cheap way to fix this problem?
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.
Bought on Monday the 16th of April 2012

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Re: interchangeability questions-350 chevy

Post by markmitchinnh »

Ok so I found out that the intake/cylinder head mounting changed in 1987 and that if I continue drilling the center bolt holes it will work. Apparently a lot of folks with older hot rods use the TBI system on there older vehicles and thats how they do it.
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Good luck, glad you got it sorted out...
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

I drilled out the 4 center holes took me a while because I had to keep checking but I finally got it and its all bolted on. I should have the engine running by Tuesday afternoon. But I am out of money till the 1st so I will have to delay driving it till I can get a catalytic converter. I had to make a custom Y pipe I had on a previous project fit for this project so I will get that all on with o2 sensor mounted. I will post a few more pictures tomorrow.

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

Glad to hear you sorted it out. That will be able to guzzle what ever kind of swill gas you want to throw at it. Comp should be ~8:1 plus or minus. I'd shave em if you haven't fired with your new head gaskets yet. Well worth it if you're running stock L05 dished pistons or even flat tops.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

This is my plan: get it legal in California then find out what I can do and such then I will buy parts and rebuild and upgrade at the same time. heads, cam, TBI upgrade etc etc for now its almost stock, with exception to the mild TBI cam, timing chain,oil pump and Y-pipe and muffler. I plan on setting aside so much a month to start this plan. Any other ideas to upgrade within California legal limits I am open to.