best non vortec GM heads?

SWAPPING IN A 305, 350 OR ANY OTHER SMALL BLOCK, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

best non vortec GM heads?

Post by markmitchinnh »

It looks like we are moving to California sometime this fall so I spoke to a few people in California about what is legal and what is not for a V8 Astro van. This is what I found out: I can install the 1996 350 in my van as long as it is smog legal for the year of the engine, ie cat cons, egr valve air pump if it was factory for the truck my engine came out of. And I can not use after market heads or vortec heads simply because they are not smog legal for the year of my engine. Yet I can use 1996 Non vortec heads and freshen them up. So my question is? what are the best heads by number for this application? Anyone?
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.
Bought on Monday the 16th of April 2012

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: best non vortec GM heads?

Post by 1Gary »

Calli legal is different than anywhere else.If you look at the Edelbrock line it lists heads that are Calli legal and I think so does World and I believe RHS does too.Edelbrock was the first to sell them and I do think it was in part because they are located in Calli.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

My point about Calli legal is what I am going threw with Rufus which has a Calli legal exhaust on it.It "had" a dual cat system on a single exhaust.One of the cat's is welded to the crossover and guess what??.GM doesn't make them anymore and no aftermarket does either.Their is a company that bought up all the remaining inventory of them who does sell the crossovers.Yepper $850 bucks!!!.So when they tell you to maintain a emissions system be very careful about that.If there has been only one thing that has been a education/PITA about Rufus,that is it!!. ](*,) ](*,)

Rochester,NY

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

Personally, there are a few heads I would look at depending on what you're wanting to do and your HP goals. First off, a set of L05 heads with a good cleanup and valve job is not as bad of a head as you'd hear from a lot of people. The key is to get the valves back cut and a good valve job plus some work in the bowl area. Look up Fast355 on thirdgen and a few of the truck boards, they're good for 300HP without a ton of trouble depending on the cam. They feature a VERY good exhaust side and can flow decently with some port work. They also flow better than Vortecs at lower lift which makes them work well for torquey engines.

Secondly, the "416" TPI heads (they used them in 82-86 or so and on carbed stuff too) aren't a bad choice if you want a bump in compression. On a stock TBI 350, you'd be at ~10.1:1 or so maybe a bit higher depending on your HG I suspect. You'd probably be lower on an 8:1 smogger engine with "deep dish" pistons and in lower pump gas friendly territory.

L98 aluminum/iron heads are a good choice, but honestly I'd be looking for a set of aftermarket heads with CARB EOs unless you get a steal of a deal as they usually go for $5-700 it seems even used and for a grand you can get aftermarket heads that will blow away any of the above. These also take the pre-87 style intakes for ALL years.

L98 irons can be had for a bargain, but honestly aren't really that much better than the above TBI 350 heads.

One last thing, depending on the intake options used Vortecs may or may not be worth it. I'm just saying it's an expense a lot of people don't consider. Pre-95 intakes are common, pre-87 intakes grow on trees not to mention that you can easily modify em to fit an 87-95 engine. After modding them, my buddy definitely wishes he would have gotten some Procomp heads just because he would have paid little to nothing more by the time he bought them and modified them for guide plates and screw in studs.

Any idea on power you're shooting for?

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

Well basically I have a stock 1996 350 with a few mods so far. I changed the stock cam to this: intake 272 and exhaust 282@ tappet. Not sure if those are the numbers you would need. I installed a double roller timing chain new oil pump , rings, bearings and gaskets. I would like to see 250 hp but I am just basically wanting the torque and reliability of a 350. I read a lot about California smog laws and I am kinda limited. The cam is very close to a factory cam so I am told by summit and it should pass emissions. I have a set of 350 vortec heads that need overhauling and a set of 305 vortec that have been rebuilt as well as a aluminum 4 barrel vortec intake but they are not legal on my engine in California so they are for sale or trade. I need a TBI intake for non vortec heads and the heads and the exhaust manifolds. So I will either sell and buy or trade. After I get moved to California I will look into after market items to improve power that are ARB legal.
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Mark-did you get ahold of Darren??.

Rochester,NY

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

No I attempted to via email and nothing but its ok I spoke to a couple garages and to someone at the dept of motor vehicles. Basically I could use my vortec heads but then I would have to buy an intake with TBI and the whole EGR set up which combined would be close to 500 bucks, so I decided to go to old non vortec parts which would cost approx. 150.00. I may keep the vortec for a later project. I figure if I can get it smog legal first then I can find out what I can do legally later and work from there. One person I spoke to at a garage in the Tracy California are told me he has a 1996 chevy pickup with an LS1 and its all legal so I will probably go see him when I go in August for a look see. I have back problems and the weather here in New England kills me so I think the warm California weather will allow me to do a lot more lol.

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Rochester,NY

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

Isnt 96 when the Vortec V8 started?

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Yep

Rochester,NY

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

1gary very good reading, and yes 96 is when the vortec heads came out however the engine I bought must have been one of the last non-vortec engines in vehicle production because it came with non vortec and TBI. I was stupid and my quest for best performance I sold the heads, intake manifold and exhaust manifolds and now I need to re buy these items. I could use the vortec heads I have but then I would still have to buy the vortec style EGR assembly and I do not see myself spending 350/400 dollars on a non performance item.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Mark, keep an eye on EBay. I bought everything you mentioned for $150.00. I got everything that sits on top of the engine.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Now Skip.There is no way a Vortec is going to keep up with a Calli emissions Edelbrock top haft and cam.For yrs they specialized in that.If folks would just wait until they have some more cash,they would end up with what they needed in the first place. :-k

Rochester,NY

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

I couldn't agree more. At this point I just don't know how much performance Mark is working toward.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

Basically this is where I am at: I own a 1989 rust free Astro RS it has approx. 164,000 miles on original drive train. Both Engine and trans are very tired. Engine smokes and lacks power most likely due to mileage. and the trans takes like 30 seconds to go into gear when put in drive or OD and it shifts funny. I have a low milegae stock 350 from an early model 1996
(prevortec) Tahoe. and a rebuilt 700R4 with shiftkit. I just want to install these two for now and I need stock non vortec heads, TBI intake and exhaust manifolds to get it legal when I move to California. I will be driving it cross country. After I get settle there I will find what I can do legally to upgrade. Money is an issue to we get there and set up shop so to speak.