best non vortec GM heads?

SWAPPING IN A 305, 350 OR ANY OTHER SMALL BLOCK, POST THEM HERE.

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: best non vortec GM heads?

Post by 1Gary »

Hey Mark-you could talk to Darren anytime on FB about this Calli dreaming thingie.He is Darren Cole.He is telling us in the winter all the time about the "T" shirt weather. :yawinkle: Doesn't say much about the rainy season through. :rolleyes: :muhaha: You do know it costs real more money to live out there with the left coast loonies.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Mark-that is Darren.It's that easy as posting on FB:

http://www.facebook.com/darren.cole.12

Rochester,NY

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

My wife is from there originally and she has lived here for approx 7 years. she says the heating costs here in NH. far exceed the cost of living in California. And so do the property taxes. Personally I am not concerned I think the warmer weather will be better for my back.
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.
Bought on Monday the 16th of April 2012

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

I made a trade today, I gave my 350 vortec heads, my 4 barrel vortec intake and my hedman headers and got a set of 350 non vortec heads casting number 3417369 with 7,000 miles on them , a 4 barrel edelbrock performer intake and a set of stock 350 exhaust manifolds. now I need to locate a stocker TBI intake and buy a few gaskets and a 350 stock computer chip. I can buy a brand new 350 chip for the 7747 computer for approx 70 bucks so I may just do that. The heads I bought came off a GM goodwrench 350 and I can't find anything on the number online.
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

anyone know chevy casting numbers?

Post by markmitchinnh »

I traded for these heads and can't find any info on them. # 3417369 any info will be appreciated. Mark

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

Those heads are 76cc, you'd better be looking to shave them and/or run flat topped pistons. The static comp with those is likely going to be 8:1. You will have to oval the center bolts on the intake for those to fit. Not a huge deal, something to keep in mind though. If you can find one for a price that makes you happy getting a CARB EO intake like a performer RPM is good money spent and to get some CARB EO headers. My advice is get the valves back cut, get some bowl work and a good 3 angle valve job. You will probably flow pretty close to what the Vortecs do overall. These heads are used for the first 2 parts of the "goodwrench quest" which I have linked to below. You can make decent power on them with a little work, and it's possible they could have made a little more power just by going to a performer RPM intake.

By the way, if you thought you could do performance what about some CARB EO heads? Just wondering there are a few floating around the aftermarket. If you have the EO you could theoretically throw em on there and not have any issues at all.

http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/goodwrench/gm3502.htm

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

Great link and story Mr. Roboto , I do plan on a total rebuild and alot of legal add ons in the future but for ow I just want to get it running real good and get to California. then I will pull the 350 back out and start fresh with California laws in my hands so to speak. What are the EO heads?

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

EO means Executive Order, in CARB language it's a part that is exempt. You still have to blow clean, but at the same time you can use cams etc. that are not production.
http://www.trickflow.com/partdetail.as ... 150&orig=1

For example these heads would work fine so long as you had the EO sticker. You can get cams, intakes, headers etc. that will let you modify your van for some nice power and let you still keep it smog legal.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

I have read some on that subject, I will look more into it when I get there. I will be in California sometime in August till the first week of September to look at a few homes. I definitely will be asking questions and taking notes. After I get the van done the way I want it I will do some traveling to auto salvage yards to find my diamond in the rough. I always wanted a 67 to 69 Camaro to build a replica Baldwin Motion Camaro.

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

A little late in this entry,but Mark a good short good read.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article ... ocity.aspx

I do differ in I believe in a limited intake runner size with a large 202 valve.It's basically what I am doing for my 383.

Rochester,NY

1Gary

Re: anyone know chevy casting numbers?

Post by 1Gary »

markmitchinnh wrote:I traded for these heads and can't find any info on them. # 3417369 any info will be appreciated. Mark
Mark-here is some casting number ref:

http://www.73-87.com/chevy_ids/sbcid2.htm

Rochester,NY

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

Swap the whole mess in. Should be a legal swap in CA, if you keep it in tact. I'd even throw the ECU in and use your stock gauge senders. Should be a NICE upgrade and if you use stock manifolds you shouldn't catch heat from the smog police as it's an engine swap of a year newer than your van.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

that is exactly what I am doing but I ran into a few snags such as the Y-pipe, the intake bolt pattern is off a bit but i redrilled the center holes now its on, the mounting brackets are not all the same but I have the tools to make them workable and I am still working on the torque converter to flywheel bolts. I will continue to post as I get things done. Thank You, Mark