Asking for help with V8 swap troubles

SWAPPING IN A 305, 350 OR ANY OTHER SMALL BLOCK, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
vortecastro
I am merely driving my van

Asking for help with V8 swap troubles

Post by vortecastro »

Hello, thanks in advance for any help in regards to speed bumps I'm encountering.

I have two astro's that I would like to swap to V8's. Both are '97's..one is a LS awd, I psan that one to be designated for offroad while still maintaining legal road runs. The other was a RWD LT. I have already swapped an AWD front subframe under it and had it running a V6 last year...but the V6 croaked...so I decided to start the V8 swap. I have a four bolt main that needs to be finished (cam, lifters, intake). Its an older block with no provision for crank sensor...so I think that one will go in the LS offroad one with 4x4 transfer case and a 700R tranny. I have a 92 4x4 and a 97 4x4...plan to use the electronic transfer case and the 700R in that one.

The 4 bolt main still needs about $1000 in parts to be ready to use, so it's on the back burner. I decided to start with the LT...BUT...the 350 Vortec from the '97 4x4 needs to be rebuilt too...and since we plan to buy a house next month....thats on the back burner too...but I have a 305 that runs...so I decided to use that for now and i can swap in the 350 when finances allow.

So..on to my troubles. I have the 305 in and mounted...had it running, but not on all 8 cylinders. At least one injector was dumping fuel out the exhaust. Didn't seem to matter which ECU i tried...305 or 350...I reconfigured the wires into the ECU to match how they were on the 305/350 harness...but still dumping fuel. I then swapped out the harness and put in the 350 harness.....with the key in the on postion the stater woukd whirl!!!! Now its not doing that anymore...but the gear lights in the dash do not light up to.show gear postion and the starter will not whirl.

I'm at loss as to what to try next.....any ideas?
I've owned a few Astro/Safari vans, nothing currently on the road though, hope that's about to change.

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Asking for help with V8 swap troubles

Post by 1Gary »

Go on Ebay to buy a factory service manual electric edition for both the donor vehicle and the van your working on.Their cheap and the best investment you can make to wire it right the first time. :-k
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

If you haven't done so yet pull plugs and find out which cylinder you're having issues with. Remove the pin from the box on that cylinder and see if the injector stops leaking. If it doesn't it could be the injector its self is dead and seeping. If it does stop leaking it's likely a pinout problem. Don't forget to change the oil after you track it down. Fuel in the oil isn't cool.

Besides that look around you can probably find an aftermarket timing cover or adapt one to your non-vortec block. I've heard of it being done before. some searching on thirdgen.org or your search engine of choice can likely turn something up on the topic.

Topic author
vortecastro

Post by vortecastro »

Ok..thanks guys. I'll search for manuals on eBay....and I'll swap back to the V6 harness and
See if it will still start with that harness
I've owned a few Astro/Safari vans, nothing currently on the road though, hope that's about to change.