RamJet 350 Swap

SWAPPING IN A 305, 350 OR ANY OTHER SMALL BLOCK, POST THEM HERE.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: RamJet 350 Swap

Post by Smiliesafari »

Now that's a five star write up. Really nice van. Thanks. Great pics too. :supz:
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Great job and very good write up. Now for some fun,,right ? :supz:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

STICKY THIS! thank you so much for doing that write up. the ramjet 350 was the original motor i was thinking about for doing the swap. makes me a whole lot more comfortable seeing it go into an AWD van and that it actually went in with minimal headaches.

on a side note.....is there any sort of emissions testing in edmonton? if so, how did the new motor do?
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege (spicy)
1961 Impala...gone but not forgotten.

http://www.propertystation.ca/

Topic author
delsafari
I am smitten with my van

Post by delsafari »

Thanks for the feedback, everybody.

dean89, on your comment -
Those are great photos that you posted so far. That is one super clean van! I would love to know some more details about the rest of the van as well. It seems to be a very rare/custom optioned van with the LT door panels and regular seats, as well as being a '94 short van.
Yes it's rare, not because '94 was the last year for the shortie, but the combination AWD shortie is quite rare, so I learned when looking for one. And I wanted black, which made it worse. Regarding the LT door panels and regular seats, I've changed the seats. Actually, I have 2 sets. The original were the posh LT type. The front ones were wearing out, base springs sagging, upholstery wearing through. I had previously owned a '94 with regular seats, and actually found the front ones more comfortable than the LT - better support, including the high head rest extension. For the 2 LT benches, the separate reclining, center flip down console are great features, but they don't fold down flat like the standard ones, they are heavier for taking in and out by one person. A couple of years ago I bought a '95 donor van with a blown motor, but with a recently rebuilt tranny, transfer case, etc. I removed and stockpiled lots of parts. It was a 7 passenger configuration, with grey interior. Front seats were worn out, but the rear bench and middle captains seats were clean with little wear. So they are now my front seats (a little adapting was required). And I normally use the standard bench in the rear as in the photo. I also got another standard bench from a wrecker for the middle, but seldom have it in the van. I still have the 2 LT benches, and use them for road trips when passengers want the extra comfort, which is not very ofter but still nice to have them. The LT benches are usually just doing their part to keep my garage full of stuff.
delsafari

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

I got a 1994 LT ext RWD version with those seats.Only thing I don't like is being they are electric versions it seems they don't go back far enough.With my 1985 "Ole Yellar" van they have the standard seats and I don't like the fit as well.I am going to change them out for something else,but I don't think they are going to be AStro/Safari seats.

Sorry to go off topic-just a responce to the last posting.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

awesome delsafari... and thank you!

and how strange is this and no word of a lie.. the other day (about 5 - 6 days ago) I saw a very rust free and very clean 93/94 shorty here where I live (clean that old is rare around here).

it got me wondering.. whatever happened to that guy that found the clean shorty that wanted to V8 it? (I forgot it was an awd) :-k ... where was he from again? :-k ah well, I don't remember his name, it's been a long time since then. that it set me into a misty walk down memory lane about my 94 that I had to sell last year. :cry:

I'm so happy that you got it all done. thanks for posting all the details.... just thanks.

Rob
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

delsafari wrote:Part 4.

So, when I got it back, the van ran fantastic. Amazing power, very very smooth, and the engine stable at all rpm, all temperatures, amazing!!! Recent brake job, new leaf springs, alignment, recent body work all helped......
I won't be racing it. Nice as it is, it's not that fast - AWD, etc. Fast enough for me though.
I don't think so, Mac

You have the audacity to post a thread like this, and then tell us you won't even give us an idea of what kinda power this beast has by taking it down the 1/4 mile a few times? I don't think so. Really, I don't. :axe:

You have been issues a grace period, however. Mostly due to proper break-in and the snow. But you have got to try her down the 1/4 mile by the end of the summer. It's an obligation! :supz:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Rockwerx
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Rockwerx »

Thanks for a great write up. I thought that my swap was tight...that ramjet manifold looks like it barely fits with out a body lift. Your installer must have had to remove it to install the bottom end...not much room with the front diff in the AWDs.

You found out why so many people have installed a V8 into these vans. The extra torque and smooth running engine makes towing a lot easier. The sleeper effect is a lot of fun also! I am interested in seeing how much clearance you have on your exhaust manifolds. The headers on my V8 AWD are in need of replacement soon so I may copy your manifold setup.

When I went to the track with one of my vans I just wanted to see how it wouuld do racing against the clock. They have street drags where you can go and test your vehicle in a more controled environment. It used to cost 20 dollars to enter. When I was there another V8 Astro made a couple of passes. He and I traded a few V8 swap ideas while we compared our track times. What do you think your times are aproximately?
1988 V8 Safari Panel
1985 V8 Astro Panel
1990 V8 Astro LT AWD Lifted
1988 V6 Astro Panel
1990 V6 Astro Panel
1991 V6 Safari SLT AWD bad engine knock
19?? V6 Safari SLT for parts

Topic author
delsafari
I am smitten with my van

Post by delsafari »

OK, ok you guys. My be I do want to know how it would do in the quarter mile. I'll find out sometime - at the very least on a quite stretch of county road (this way I could fudge the time and the speed). Maybe even at the track. Stay tuned.

Funny, before last summer, I had not been to the drag races for, I hate to say it, about 4o years - yikes. Not since back in the day when Mr Clean ('67 Fairlane 427) and Ol' Trapper (426 Hemi) were dukin' it out for bragging rights and the purse at Edmonton International Speedway, long since relocated to near the airport. Any of you ASV guys know about this old Edmonton scene? Probably more like western Canada and US northwest scene? I hated watching that hemi beat my favorite Ford, which it usually did. I have since gotten over being a Ford man, but still have a soft spot for the memory of Mr Clean. So last summer I took my 3 sons (30ish year-olds), who had never seen drag racing, to Hot August Nights. We had a blast. Literally - there were 8 jet cars. The shop that did my V8 swap has a nice little Nova - a regular at the drags.

But I don't want to wreck anything in my Safarithunder. So if I do it, I'll be the carefullest racer there.

I take it we're not s'posed to digress like this on these forums - even old guys that can't help it?
delsafari

Topic author
delsafari
I am smitten with my van

Post by delsafari »

Look at me, no posts for 8 months, and now I'm a postin' fool. Up to 14 already. And now I'll try to add a smiley character. posting.php?mode=reply&f=8&t=1819#

Rockwerx - as for the fit of my headers in the swap, the JTR manual goes into lots of detail with photos on cutting / notching the frame to make room for the headers, so I expected that would be needed, but my installer said it wasn't. I didn't get a chance to see it myself. During the swap, I went to the shop every noon hour to see how it was going, and took a few pictures. And I asked the installer to take lots of pictures too. He took some, but not as many as I would have liked. Case in point, no pictures of the the manifold clearance.

Could I get photos now that would help? They have to be taken from above, right? from inside with the dog house off? anything visible from underneath? Or is it too late?
delsafari

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by BLAZER »

Nice swap and write up!! great job, too bad I abandoned my V8 swap, probably would have loved it.
Wouldn't that be hilarious if your 350 ran almost as fast as smurf boys 502, I would ROFLMAO.

Topic author
delsafari
I am smitten with my van

Post by delsafari »

I see, just click on the character, don't drag it. =D> :) :muhaha:
delsafari

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

BLAZER wrote:Nice swap and write up!! great job, too bad I abandoned my V8 swap, probably would have loved it.
Wouldn't that be hilarious if your 350 ran almost as fast as smurf boys 502, I would ROFLMAO.

Excuse me, Judas. I never built this to be the fastest Safari on the road. Anyone who builds a lifted 4x4 Safari with 31" AT tires and thinks he's gonna set new land-speed records needs to be examined by a shrink. I was gunning for a reliable daily-driven big-block that would scare the bejesus outta 'stangs.
Mission completed :muhaha:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
delsafari
I am smitten with my van

Post by delsafari »

Black LT AWD

On your question -
on a side note.....is there any sort of emissions testing in edmonton? if so, how did the new motor do?
No emissions testing here that I am aware of. I don't know how it would do.
delsafari

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

No Emissions Testing......? You Lucky Bas_ _ _ d !

Great detailed pictures with a great detailed write-up, Well done!
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc