Drivers Side Dutch Door

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Drivers Side Dutch Door

Post by Rileysowner »

The drivers side dutch door won't open on my van. I open the hatch, the passenger side door, but while there is a sound like the mechanism is moving inside the door, the door won't unlatch. So any idea what's up?
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Drivers Side Dutch Door

Post by Herbie »

It's a pretty simple mechanism of a handle/rod/cam-latch. There's no lock that I'm aware of, so it may be that something needs lube or is similarly stuck. Is it "hard to open" or it won't open at all? If the latter, you may have to try to remove the trim panels on the door to get at the mechanism.

There's a "hoop" at the "floor" of the van, near the inner edge of the door, this is what the latch grabs. (Just so you know where to look)
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Topic author
Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Herbie wrote:It's a pretty simple mechanism of a handle/rod/cam-latch. There's no lock that I'm aware of, so it may be that something needs lube or is similarly stuck. Is it "hard to open" or it won't open at all? If the latter, you may have to try to remove the trim panels on the door to get at the mechanism.

There's a "hoop" at the "floor" of the van, near the inner edge of the door, this is what the latch grabs. (Just so you know where to look)
It doesn't open at all. So off will come the trim panel.
Jim

Topic author
Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

I got part of the interior trim off so I can get my hand and a light in there. It looks like the whole mechanism is hooked up, but the bottom part that latches on will not move. I sprayed it as well as I could with some lubricant, but still no luck. Is there any way to pry the latch part loose so I can get the door open and all the interior trim off giving better access?
Jim

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

As soon as I get the hinge pins put back into my door (I'm mid-project right now), I'll take a look at mine and see if I can figure out a workaround for it. I seem to remember being able to see at least part of the hoop and latch of the left door when the right door was open, so hopefully I can find a way.
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior

Topic author
Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

I still have not got this open.
Jim

Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Wiley »

Here are some pics I took when my door wouldnt open, I had to adjust the plastic clip slightly, everything was moving properly but not quite far enough to release it, though not sure what part you are struggling with to get o the rod, but if you can pull the rod and it releases then it is most likely the plastic clip.

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=6578&p=89586#p89586
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley

Topic author
Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

I have the interior trim moved out of the way enough that I can get my hand in and grab the rod. I have pulled on it, but it still doesn't seem to want to release the latch. I am going to try soaking it in PB Blaster inside and out for a while then try again.
Jim

CaptSquid

Post by CaptSquid »

All kinds of crud builds up in the back doors of any vehicle, especially GM vehicles. I had to replace a reversing lamp on the 93 Burb and was amazed at how much gunk was inside the fender. For the future, however, I'll be replacing both with Anzo LED assemblies AFTER I pay off the loan. I won't sink that much money into it until it belongs to me completely.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

Topic author
Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

I still have not gotten this open. I pulled off all the interior trim, so I can see it and get to it, but I can't seem to get the latch to disengage. I have given it a good soak with PB Blaster, at least better than the last time I tried, I will have a look again tomorrow. I really need to get it open, and I have a feeling it is full of rust and crud that will not let loose.
Jim

Topic author
Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

After a lot of spraying of pb blaster and trying to get it to unlatch, I finally had my DW how the handle in the open position while I kicked the door from inside. That got it open, however, now I can't get it shut as the latch for the drivers side did not stay stuck in the open position (as I was hoping) but in the closed position. It did allow me to do what I needed to, but I was hoping for a different outcome.
Jim

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Rileysowner wrote:After a lot of spraying of pb blaster and trying to get it to unlatch, I finally had my DW how the handle in the open position while I kicked the door from inside. That got it open, however, now I can't get it shut as the latch for the drivers side did not stay stuck in the open position (as I was hoping) but in the closed position. It did allow me to do what I needed to, but I was hoping for a different outcome.
You may be able to trip the latch back to the open position with a screwdriver. Haven't looked at the Astro one specifically, but I've done this on other car doors no problem.

Topic author
Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Herbie wrote:
Rileysowner wrote:After a lot of spraying of pb blaster and trying to get it to unlatch, I finally had my DW how the handle in the open position while I kicked the door from inside. That got it open, however, now I can't get it shut as the latch for the drivers side did not stay stuck in the open position (as I was hoping) but in the closed position. It did allow me to do what I needed to, but I was hoping for a different outcome.
You may be able to trip the latch back to the open position with a screwdriver. Haven't looked at the Astro one specifically, but I've done this on other car doors no problem.
The problem with that is the same as the one getting things open. Once I pulled the entire interior trim panel off so I had a clear view it was clear there was a bunch of rust in the mechanism inside the door. I was hoping lots of PB Blaster would loosen it up, but that did not work so the latch remains seized with the rust.
Jim

Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Wiley »

Wiley wrote:Here are some pics I took when my door wouldnt open, I had to adjust the plastic clip slightly, everything was moving properly but not quite far enough to release it, though not sure what part you are struggling with to get o the rod, but if you can pull the rod and it releases then it is most likely the plastic clip.

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=6578&p=89586#p89586
Oops, I see in 2014 I sent you to the wrong place since thats for the sliding door, my bad. I did have the problem with my dutch doors as well, but dont think it was the same as your rusted mechanism anyway. Wow its still stuck......
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley

Topic author
Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

I wish I could have gotten it working as it probably would have gotten me more money than what I got when I sold it this week. Sorry to see it go. It was a reliable vehicle.
Jim