adding bench seat

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
Slicky
I get chills without my van.

adding bench seat

Post by Slicky »

Has anyone on here added a bench to a cargo van?What would be involved? I am going to buying an Astro and I need to use it for trade work but also want to be able to carry a couple of passenger occasionally . I know I could just buy a passenger van and take out the third row bench but I also want AWD and the barn doors which is becoming a challenging ccombo to find in my market.

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: adding bench seat

Post by WoodButcher »

Go to the junkyard and pull a seat and belts from another astro / safari, cut the pockets from the floor as well and weld the pockets into your van.
The belts should bolt right in to the cargo, if not weld in the anchor, that's all there is to it, you could fabricate some thing else for the mounts but the pockets have nothing that sticks up from the floor so when the seat is out you have flat cargo space. It doesn't get better in my book.
Unless of course you use buckets,
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=9449
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

This is my solution to have enough seating for a car license in Wisconsin and still have room for two BSA race bikes.
I welded nuts to straps and pop riveted the straps under the floor so the 3ed seat unbolts just like the front two.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm17 ... CF0061.jpg
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

Topic author
Slicky
I get chills without my van.

Post by Slicky »

thanks guys both are great ideas

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

Thinking about it Stan's would be easier and more cost efficient particularly if you were to pay a shop to do the welding. On a bench just cut the hooks and add a flat foot to bolt through, mark the holes on the floor and drill. With nuts welded to the strap under the floor there are no protrusions, I was thinking of the buckets in front and they were stuck in my head.
:-$
brain fart,,,,

Stan, did you weather proof the hole? if there is no seat what keeps the water out?

never mind, :-# ,
run the bolt all the way in after taking out the seat.
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

WoodButcher wrote:Thinking about it Stan's would be easier and more cost efficient particularly if you were to pay a shop to do the welding. On a bench just cut the hooks and add a flat foot to bolt through, mark the holes on the floor and drill. With nuts welded to the strap under the floor there are no protrusions, I was thinking of the buckets in front and they were stuck in my head.
:-$
brain fart,,,,

Stan, did you weather proof the hole? if there is no seat what keeps the water out?

never mind, :-# ,
run the bolt all the way in after taking out the seat.
LOL, I like to watch the wheels turn. :yawinkle:
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....