Driver door hinge broke - replacement Q re: body style

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
Krrunch
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Driver door hinge broke - replacement Q re: body style

Post by Krrunch »

The PO told me that the wrinkle in the drivers door was from when someone backed into it while it was open. It worked, if a bit clunkily, up until a couple of days ago, when the hinge part w/spring broke in half across the base. Door opens & shuts, but makes a gawdawful racket when doing so. Called a buddy who owns a body shop yesterday, he told me forget repairing it, plan on replacing it. (Ballpark figure - $200 for the door, $300 to remove old, paint and install the "new" one).

Looking at partshotlines.com, the door price seems about right, but what I am wondering is that he told me they slightly changed the body at some point during production, and I want to be sure to get a door which matches the rest of my '03. So here's the Q, which is probably simple for y'all to answer:

What is the earliest year-made door which will match the '03 body?

More subjective Q: Is repairing it not really an option? Looks like the lines between panels are still good, and welding the hinge back together (or replacing it) might be cheaper. Any input? TIA!

Pics below.

okie1
I sleep in my van

Re: Driver door hinge broke - replacement Q re: body style

Post by okie1 »

The wrinkle part is correct, but why a new door, remove the door, do a little grinding to clean the area and weld that hinge right back on with the pin in position, it will be as strong or stronger than new if they know how to weld. Once you complete welding and a little spot painting, reinstall the door and adjust accordingly, saving a lot of bucks.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

It's a crappy job. Get a new door.

The part you see behind the hinge is just thin sheet metal. Behind that is a heavy gauge steel plate which the hinge is spot welded to. You would have to somehow join the hinge to the plate, without damaging the sheet metal. I too have asked about door repair at a body shops, and got a very expensive quote. The guy was very honest and told me the reason for the high price: he didn't want to do it.

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

Hell the hinge weld is easy.The body work isn't and is labor intensive.The medal is stretched and creased.Ya got to know where to pull what to get it back into reasonable form so you are left with only a skinned layer of filler. And if your really good not even that.Heat might oil can it so with panels you have to be careful.
I don't blame your body man one bit.He won't know what he has to adjust until he mounts the new door and at that point he to get it back to aline the body could be in for a long day.
I'm guessing he is really trying to save you money by tell you to get a replacement door.It's has best shot of doing a good job for you.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY