Roof Rack

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
Mark C.
I get chills without my van.

Re: Roof Rack

Post by Mark C. »

Getting the factory rack off was a treat. Four spun riv-nuts. Drilled off heads,cut flush with grinder.

How am I doin!

Topic author
Mark C.

Post by Mark C. »

Pretty much eye-balled where I wanted them,decided to go outboard of original rack,mostly because I didn't want to grind out and seal old riv-nuts. I will do that later. Riv-nuts called for a 3/8 hole,I went down to 11/32 cause thats what I could find. Painted holes with nail polish and sunk first riv nut,screwed it down and marked other holes.

Tracks came with campershell style foam tape,once stuck to track I pushed hardware thru,held in place. Applied plenty of silicone and screwed them down.

Topic author
Mark C.

Post by Mark C. »

Here is how I did.

I am gonna need different Thule towers for the tracks,a pay check or two away,might steel wifeys.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Looking good so far! Too bad your van wasn't like mine with no roof rack.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
Mark C.

Post by Mark C. »

Only took overnight to decide to rob wifeys towers,fits good,a lot less deflection of roof when I pull on bars.

davlafont
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by davlafont »

Mark C. wrote:Tracks came with campershell style foam tape...
Great bit of info. I don't think they mention this on their site.

The channel-Thule set-up looks great. Thanks for the details!
Dave
1999 GMC Safari SLE
AWD | G80 | 3.73

Topic author
Mark C.

Post by Mark C. »

The Rivnuts installed have a head or collar that is proud of the sheetmetal,most tracks have a plastic base gasket not foam. I decided to take foam tape out and I made a plastic base for the tracks. I had no luck at local hardware store,ended up using ski base material. Any thing as thick as the riv colar. If u look close at the last picture you can see white plastic under track,lots of silicone, plastic is not sealing like the foam was.

Topic author
Mark C.

Post by Mark C. »

More base gasket ideas! I was picking up my dog at the tile/granite shop my wife works at when I noticed a roll of heavy gauge rubber like material. Turns out its shower pan liner! Looks like a layer or two of that might be a good alternative to the camper foam.Stiffer and somewhat self sealing.I got enough to screw around with but will be waiting for good weather again.I like the plastic bases I made but ski base material might be hard for others to find,if the pan liner works better than the foam it is readily available.I guess I should mention when I first installed the tracks with the camper foam the foam is a lot thicker than the rivnut collar so it wanted to volcano the sheet metal,I added a washer and got a really good fit,no volcano flush foam contact. I was satisfied,then started lookin at yakima tracks on wifeys 4runner,and thinkin about how little success I have had with camper foam in the past and I wanted something better.The foam would probably have lasted the life of the van but that would have been too easy,and if I wanted easy I would have stuck with toyota :muhaha:Excuse me if that qualifies as joking around! Also I would like to point out this shower pan liner is a six foot wide roll and is sold by the foot,wife says poly/vinyl,seems really durable and might have a lot of other Van type uses!