Air leak around front doors

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
astrojohn
I am smitten with my van

Air leak around front doors

Post by astrojohn »

I'm on my 3rd awd van now, and all 3 have 1 thing in common.
There is a lot of wind noise around the front doors. On a calm day things are fine, but when there is wind, especially crosswind, the air that comes in around the doors, is terribly noisy.
I've adjusted them, so they sit in farther, which you can see looking down the side, and it hasn't helped.
When I'm driving, and it's noisy, I can pull in the top edge of the window frame, and it quiets down.
I'ved noticed that the top of the window frame easily vibrates from wind while I'm driving.
I have added weatherstripping to the door, where it meets the original door weather strip, but there is still noise. I've even taken 1/4 inch round house window weather stripping, and packed it behind the original door weather strip, to bring it out, so it will make contact with the door.
I've heard of putting a block of wood in the door jamb, and with the window down, push in on the top of the window frame, to bend it in a little. I'm not sure if this is a good idea, but I'm tired of the noise.
Anybody out there with the same problem, and what did you do to remedy it. I love the van, but hate the noise.

H2OJoe
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Air leak around front doors

Post by H2OJoe »

I had the same problem with my 2001. This fixed the problem completely and was easy to install. It took about a week or so to receive them after I ordered them.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/searc ... e=7.142504
:guitar:
2001 Astro LT AWD "Redneck Edition", 4" Custom Lift, 30x9.5R15LT on stock wheels, Hightop conversion, custom interior, custom roof racks, external solar shower, front recovery points. SOLD

1997 Astro LS AWD Starting build soon.

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Interesting. When my '96 was on the road, this was a major gripe of mine. I took it back to the dealer several times when it was still under warranty and they claimed they couldn't duplicate it. (Probably true as it only happened with a strong side wind.)
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Been the same on all 4 of my vans. As a side note, my truck does the same thing with a strong side wind.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy