Rear Wiper Not Working

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Rear Wiper Not Working

Post by Rileysowner »

I noticed a couple of days back that my rear wiper is not functioning any longer. The sprayer on the rear armature will spray, but the arm will not move.

I checked the fuse, and it is fine, so that makes me think wires, switch or the motor at the rear that runs it. Any trouble shooting hints or specific places I should look.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

Jim,

I would check the wiring at the rear motor for voltage first. if you still have voltage .. and if it changes or not when you turn the switch on and off. That will pinpoint if the switch on the dash is the issue or the motor, or somewhere in between (ie. wiring).

Rob
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Topic author
Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

I have not had time to look a this, but discovered yesterday another aspect that may help with suggestions. The one dutch door had ice in the latch so I had to slam it a couple of times to get it to latch. Then I put the window part down. It was snowing hard and the rear window was covered so I thought I would try the rear wiper. It worked. My wife picked up some stuff and put it in the back opening and closing the window part, and it stopped working again. My thinking is either a broken wire or plug into the motor for the rear wiper. Other thoughts?

Also, how does one actually get access to the rear wiper motor? I tried to remove the trim but with all the trim screws that I could find removed, I still couldn't get it off. Are there any hidden screws or other things I need to know of to get access?
Jim

madslammer
I get chills without my van.

Post by madslammer »

I had that same problem a couple of years ago. The problem seemed to be the delay control module, this is located next to the rear wiper motor. It's a small black box and this controls the wiper motor but not the sprayer. To remove the trim you must remove some screws around the part but what holds it in place are some clips. After removing the screws, carefully pull the trim off the liftgate. You should see the control module on the driver's side of the liftgate, the most common trouble is that due to the vibrations when you colse/slam the liftgate some of the weld points on the circuit board come loose. You can buy a replacement module on Ebay or at your local GM parts store or you can remove the module from the vehicle and repair the weld with a soldering gun.
Hope this helps. . .
O:)
'97 Astro 2wd, lowered 4" w/Belltech spindles and drop leafs.
'87 Astro 2wd, lifted, pretty close to 4" all around.

Topic author
Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Thanks. How does one get at the screws that hold the handle of the glass door on? That is one place I have had some difficulty as they have some trim plugs over them.
Jim

madslammer

Post by madslammer »

Get a thin flat blade screwdriver and insert it between the plug and the handle and pry it out gently. Then remove 2 bolts with a 10mm socket.
Let me know, maybee I can post some pics of this. . .
Cool?
:muhaha:

Topic author
Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Now to find my thin screwdriver. :) Thanks. It has been pretty cold and snowy here. I have been waiting on warmer weather to get a new drive belt on my wife's protege, but after digging it out yesterday, as I was working on it the tools were freezing to my hand. I figured it was just a little too cold to be fixing something that can wait a few more days.
Jim

Topic author
Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

How does one get the delay control module out. The bracket is riveted in and before I drill out the rivets, I was wondering if there is another way.

Update:

I figured it out once my hands warmed up. It was only a matter of pushing it in until the clip came out of the metal bracket on the outside, and then manouvering it so that the rear clip came out of the same bracket.

Sure enough the problem was a broken solder joint. Re-soldered, fixed up some other questionable ones, and re-installed. Everything works now.

Now to get a replacement motor for the drivers side window and replace that.
Jim

madslammer

Post by madslammer »

Great, glad to have helped you out, man. . . =D>