Alternate way to open rear dutch door?

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
TroySmith80
I am merely driving my van

Alternate way to open rear dutch door?

Post by TroySmith80 »

Every time i need to get into the back of my van, and i'm not already sitting in the driver's seat, my urge to kill rises when i have to walk all the way around to the front, reach in to the dash and hit the door release button. Seriously GM, WTF? No way to open the rear door when you're standing back there with an armload full of stuff to put in?

My rage is compounded by the rear light that does not shut off when you close the door. Then you have to go up front, hit the button, go back, switch off the light, and close the hatch again. Seriously, it's a good thing i don't carry!

So, now that i've vented... how can i go about putting a button on the back of the van so that i can open the door from back there? I have a '93 LT Astro AWD. I've seen some vans that appear to have a button back there from the factory, but mine doesn't and from what i've seen around here, most don't.

I would want the button to be disabled when the doors are locked. Or if that's not possible, maybe just hide the button somewhere where it's not obviously visible but still somewhat convenient?

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Alternate way to open rear dutch door?

Post by astroturf »

From the owners manual...

To release the hatch and unlock the split-panel doors from the outside of the vehicle,put the key in the lock and turn to the right. Then, pullup on the hatch and open the right rear door first. Grasp the handle and pull the door open.

Jim

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Yes Jim, That is true, as long as the electronics of the key/switch are still functioning normally.
I hate power windows too becuz of several rainy february's with a window stuck open....
I also want to shoot at GM for the "Electric" only rear door opening idea ! WTF .
I had a stripped van with a hacked up wiring harness, and the door was not able to just open...
What a PITA that was !
:rolleyes:
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
TroySmith80

Post by TroySmith80 »

The key is normally in the ignition or dash. I want to add a button on the back that anybody can operate without having to have the key or go up to the front. Basically like anything else on the planet with a hatchback. Cars on which the trunk can only be opened from inside the car are also a horrible design in my opinion. Especially since i use my rig for camping and am in and out of the back like a hundred times a day.

Yeah, electric-only is a problem too, when i got the van the battery was dead so rear door was inoperable... pita.

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by CaptSquid »

Considering that the upper latch is solenoid operated, if you had long enough cables and enough electrical power, you could put a button on the moon to open your back door.

Have you considered a keyless entry system?
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

Topic author
TroySmith80

Post by TroySmith80 »

Got a good answer on the other board: http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14045
Here's what I did. There is a hot wire that is accessible in the lower passenger side door hooked to the "unlock" key switch .

I removed the black license plate recess trim and drilled a finger sized hole in the top of it, mounted a "momentary" push

button over the hole so that the switch could be accessed from the "hidden" hole. I wired the new switch in parallel with the

still functioning key switch, and now all I have to do is stick my finger thru the hole to activate the switch and unlatch the

upper door. Works great, doesn't require a key, or going to the front of the truck to push the button there, or even any

thought on my part. Nobody would think to look there for a switch, and the hole is really out of sight except to geckos !

Good project for an afternoon and a six pack.

Uncle Bob

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Well Good for you...

Keep us posted on yer progress.

Jim

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

I prefer barn doors with the interior lock and opener mod.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

Hmm. Mine opens with a simple press of the button on the back door.

My issue is that i've killed the battery with my jumper cables stored under a shelf in the very back, inaccessible. I've since put a hinge on the shelf so it can be openned from leaning over the backseat, but still, the electronic only issue is redonkulous. :rolleyes:
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Topic author
TroySmith80

Post by TroySmith80 »

Did it today. Took all of 30 minutes. Now that i've been through it, i could do it again in 10 probably. Anwyay, just picked up a very small SPST temporary plunger switch at radio shack for like 3 bucks.

0. Verify that operating the key in your rear door pops the hatch. If not, this mod probably won't work until you get the key to work. Also, realize that this button will ALWAYS (unless the battery is dead) pop the hatch, even if you've locked everything. That's a bit of a risk, so don't put the button in plain sight.

1. Remove the rubber molding that goes over the tops of the door trim panel and the sheet metal (it's the highest part on the door once the hatch is open. Now remove the inner trim panel from rear door. This is the hardest part of the entire operation. What a pain in the ass. There are these plastic "christmas trees" that push in through holes in the sheetmetal and hold the panels on the door. Well, you're lucky if you don't half destroy the panel trying to get it off. If you look very closely around the outside of the panel, you can see where the 'trees' have been attached. Insert your prying tool there and work them all out until the panel is off. Also, look at my pictures.

2. Find where you want to mount the switch, and drill an appropriately sized hole. I put mine in the top of the license plate cavity.

3. Solder about 16" of wire onto the leads of your switch, insulate the terminals as necessary. Feed the wire up through the hole in the license plate cavity until the switch is in position. Then thread the nut over the wire and onto the back of the switch and tighten it up to mount the switch.

4. Look through the lower hole in the inside of the door and find the two wires coming from the key-hole. Splice one of the wires from your switch to one of the wires from the key, and then splice the other two wires as well.

5. Replace the panel. Just line up the christmas trees and then give a good smack with your fist on each one. Replace the molding on top. DONE!

Pic #1

Pic #2

Pic #3
Last edited by LiftedAWDAstro on Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: linked the pics due to size.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

Woah nelly! Please go easy on the image size. I would need a 30" monitor to view those suckers.

If you use the forum attachment feature, it will automatically create clickable thumbnails for you.

By the way, what kind of speakers are those?

Topic author
TroySmith80

Post by TroySmith80 »

Sorry about the pics. Thanks for editing.

Not sure what the speakers are off the top of my head, whatever seemed like a good deal at the time. Mid-level quality.