Is it just me, or is this happening to a lot of vans lately?

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Re: Is it just me, or is this happening to a lot of vans lat

Post by 6spd_monte »

batmo:
I would have like to keep my original wheels too, but only if I could have them redone to match the new body color and that was just too expensive. I had to draw the line somewhere! I've had these rally wheels in the back of my mind for a few years thinking they'd look good so it was an easy choice.

For the grillwork, I'm planning to restore it in the original color scheme, flat black with flat silver accents.

I think the interior color will go well with the burgandy also, that's why I picked it :yawinkle:
mtrhead79 wrote:dont mean to pry but what did they charge for paint? i know paint with that much detail (removing doors) gets up there fast
No harm in asking, but I'm not totally comfortable sharing the exact number. I'll tell you this: Just to repair the body damage was about $2000. The paintwork cost more than that, in addition to the bodywork.

I've made some more progress, not a lot, but some. I'll put up some recent pictures in the next day or so.
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

alexalexanders
I get chills without my van.

Post by alexalexanders »

Any updates on this?

Topic author
6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

Yes!
I must apologize, I've really been lagging on keeping this updated. I have been making progress, slow but steady. I just haven't been keeping you all up to speed like I should.

I think the last thing I showed you was after I sprayed the inside with the noise barrier stuff.
So, here's what's new since then:
-I've reinstalled the body wire harness, and I went through and fixed some wiring that I had done years ago but wasn't happy with.
-I've found and repaired damaged wiring in the hinge area of both front doors.
-I've cut and installed the thick padded insulation that will replace the factory stuff on the floor, walls and barn doors.
-I've installed a lighter insulation on the roof.
-I've sprayed that noise barrier on the engine cover.
-I've removed both front doors and replaced the hinge bushings and pins.
-I've removed the slider and replaced the lower and center roller bearings. (The upper is in good shape still, and it's discontinued)
-I've glued in the seals for the four pop out windows, and installed those four windows.
-I've shampooed the carpet and installed that, along with all the trim that goes with it.
-I've been hand washing each and every piece in the kitchen sink before it goes back in.
-I've cleaned and repainted the rear license plate box and assembled that, including hand painting the silver "Chevrolet" at the bottom.

Unfortunately I don't have many photos right now, but here's a few:

This is insulation that I put on the floor and walls. It's a bit thinner than the factory stuff but much heavier. Since it's thinner I had to stack it up in a few areas so the carpet didn't feel loose and squishy. I only worried about it in the front seat and footwell zone. I left it a single layer from behind the front seats all the way back, because it's not as noticeable on the flat floor, and because this stuff is expensive!

The carpet, all clean and laid out before installation.

My lovely wife, pretending to drive it...

And installed with all the floor trim.

That's what it looks like right now. I have some trim pieces at a local shop getting reupholstered this week. I'm going to try to get the sliding door sprayed and padded with the insulation and reinstalled this weekend. Once the slider is back in place and the newly covered trim pieces come back, then I can put the headliner and the rest of the interior back in.

I'm trying to pay attention to the details, but it takes so much time!
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

Yepper James.It's the little things that make a huge difference.Here it is a whole bunch of little things.Nice work.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Very cool when it seems you have this kind of obvious support.

1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Topic author
6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

6spd_monte wrote: ....-I've found and repaired damaged wiring in the hinge area of both front doors. ....
Here's a link to the thread on how I found and fixed that.

Click Me
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

Topic author
6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

I didn't put a photo of the insulation on the roof, so here's one to make up for it:

The headliner is in now, but no pics of that yet.
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

Topic author
6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

Again, I apologize for my lack of updates, but here's what's new:

The full interior is installed, although this picture doesn't show it, except for the front door panels. I should have them installed in the next week or two.

I used Dynamat inside the front and sliding doors. I chose this over the heavier product I used elsewhere in the body because of the weight. I was concerned that over time, with the repeated closing of the doors, the heavier product would eventually come off.

And this is the insulation I'm using on the inside of all the interior panels. It's very similar to the OE stuff, with the addition of a foil-type layer on both sides.

With that, all that's left is to toss in the seats and the interior will be done.
I've also been working at restoring the exterior trim, including the front and rear lamps. The lenses are old and oxidized, they look bad. Especially bad when set up against the new paint. So, I tried my hand at plastic polishing. It has taken quite a bit of time, but I'm very pleased with the results.

Pretty sweet, right?
I'll post a separate thread on how I did it at some point, but I don't wanna make any promises as to when just yet.

Anyway, ever closer to being done...
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Very nice work on the interior. Awesome job on lenses as well! =D>
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

The front doors are complete, here's some pictures!

Newer vehicles use a plastic shield inside the doors, I assume to keep moisture off of the interior panels. My Astro, along with my other old Chevys, used some kind of chemically treated paper. It was fairly useless, so I decided to make my own plastic shields. I bought a roll of 2mil plastic sheet from the local home improvement store and cut a piece roughly the shape of the door. I hung it in place and marked where the wires and rods would come through.

Cut them out...

And used 3M Window Weld to stick it down. Here's a Link

Here's what it looks like as it goes on:

And with the plastic in place

Finally trimmed to fit

Panel in place, Done!

I also installed the roof rack. All of the metal pieces were powdercoated in matte black.

That's all for tonight. I have all the body side trim and the new-to-me color matched wheels installed with new tires as well. It all looks pretty great but I couldn't get a good picture in the garage with the other car parked alongside. Perhaps this weekend I'll roll one of them out and get a nice shot for you guys.
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

did you use the original hardware to fasten the roof rack?

Topic author
6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

Mostly yes. The hardware was still in good condition for the most part, I only had to replace two or three bolts and one threaded insert. I cleaned the threads up and used some liquid thread sealer when I put it together.
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Thanks. And was the threaded insert the same as original? what was the sealing product? I have to put my rack back together too.

Topic author
6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

The threaded insert was similar but not exactly the same as original. It functions the same and is installed in the same way, but it sits almost perfectly flush with the panel, whereas the original inserts have a shoulder and sit on top of the panel. I thought I took pictures of it but I can't find them, sorry. This isn't the exact product I used but it's very similar. I think I just used a cheaper knockoff of this: Clickey

The really strange part is the reason I had to replace that insert. It was missing... like it never got installed when the van was built. There was no bolt there and just a hole in the roof. My parents bought the van new and the roof rack hasn't ever been removed before. It's amazing that the hole wasn't super rusty, and we never noticed a huge water leak when the van got rained on or washed. Quite the mystery...

Anyway, the sealing product was Permatex liquid thread sealant with PTFE. Item #80631. Clickey
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

BigSweed805
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by BigSweed805 »

Really, Really cool... Like seeing the pictures! Thinking I like the idea to sound deaden the inside.