Seatbelt not working except...

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
kevinfin
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Seatbelt not working except...

Post by kevinfin »

I would greatly appreciate your advice on an odd issue I am having with the seat-belts. Last year I bought a 1990 Astrovan (manufactured 11/89) which has been converted to a Provan Tiger XL camper (90). The engine and whatnot has not been modified but pretty much everything else had either through the initial conversion or later adaptations. After buying I noticed that the seat belts on either the driver or passenger side never seemed to get snug against the chest and just figured I needed a new retractor spring (?) or something. But recently, I had to have the instrument cluster pulled. When I jumped in to drive home without the instrument cluster installed, the seat belts seemed to work - they felt snug against me and the passenger. I asked my mechanic how this could happen and he said it was chance, that there was no connection between the seat belt and the instrument panel. Is this true? Just seems really odd that they would seem to engage after the instrument cluster was out.

So, in other news, why did I have the instrument cluster removed in the first place? The fuel gauge didn't move past a quarter of a tank. I replaced the sending unit. No dice. The new sending unit behaved the same. I figured the only thing it could be was the gauge itself and s the mechanic pulled it and is sending it to someone who fixes gauges. I've looked around and saw a lot of issues people have had with fuel gauges but have not seen an issue like this. If you know something I don't please share. I am a complete idiot when it comes to diagnosing and fixing anything related to automotive and perhaps a few (or more) other things as well. Thanks for your time, Kevin

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Re: Seatbelt not working except...

Post by Astrophysics »

Howdy,

I would think your mechanic is correct that the only connection to the seat belt is the small electrical wire that tells the dash board computer that your seat belt is not fastened. That would not affect the friction or retractor spring.
Good idea to fix the seat belt. The inertial reel could have pet hair, dog or cat or just dust and grease. See if you can carefully remove the plastic trim and have a look at the seat belt retractor mechanism where it bolts to the bucket seat pedestal. Also, try to find out which years of Astro are compatible with your seat belts and try to get newer ones.
May try to get some newer seat belts from wrecking yard.
There is an aftermarket stainless steel adapter (G Force or some such name) that lets you snug just the lap belt and the shoulder belt stays loose.
It is made in New Jersey for mild race car fans. It clamps onto the seat belt webbing. I will try to find the name of it.

AP

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Re: Seatbelt not working except...

Post by Captn. Crunch »

At first glance I also would have to agree with your mechanic but there may be another reason. Never underestimate the possibility of your vehicle being possessed! Don't laugh-we've all owned one where there is just no reasonable explanation for things that break and fix themselves etc etc. :yikes:
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s