Snow Chains

HAVE A TIRE QUESTION? LIKE YOUR TIRES AND WANT TO LET EVERYONE KNOW? NEED TO KNOW IF THEY WILL FIT? POST IT HERE.

Topic author
JHenry45
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Snow Chains

Post by JHenry45 »

I have a 2004 Astro AWD with all season tires. It's not practical for me to buy snow tires because I won't be spending a lot of time in the snow and another set of tires and rims are more $$ than I have. I'd like to hear from people who have experience with using tire chains on Astro/Safaris. What brands or designs are best? I know that most to the time I won't need them, but when I need them, I'll really need them!

Thanks,
John

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Re: Snow Chains

Post by HPbyStan »

I was just looking at chains somewhere and noticed the design has changed since the last time I paid any attention to a design that has at least one flat chain that follows the center of the tire tying the links together to keep them close to the tire and not loosly flying around into your fenders and whatever. Might ride a bit smoother also.
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Yes, many new improvements in chauns. Even the chain link type are easier to install nowadays. Many have stiffener on inside and also the link strap spacing is wider so you can pull chain over tire and secure without having to roll over the chain or lift the wheel and tire off the ground. And for light duty the wire cable chains of course.
AP

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

I just got some nice new chains. I have never driven in the snow but I hope to very soon. Of course I got the gnarly ones:

Looks like I need to finish my fender flare mods before I can use them.
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla