Firestone Winterforce tires

HAVE A TIRE QUESTION? LIKE YOUR TIRES AND WANT TO LET EVERYONE KNOW? NEED TO KNOW IF THEY WILL FIT? POST IT HERE.

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Firestone Winterforce tires

Post by rlsllc »

I just got back from the tire shop.

Night and day difference from the worn 235/60's that were on there. These are only 215/75/15, but look tall after seeing it with the others for so long.

Although I found them for only $56 on tire rack, I opted to pay a little more and buy them local. I've known the owner for years, so It's worth the extra couple bucks. He'll stand behind them also.

I'll report back after some snow covered roads, but i can say that I tryed them in the yard in about 4" of snow, and in a parking lot and was impressed.

I changed out my 235/60 spare also. Gotta remember to do that when you change tire size on an AWD.

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Firestone Winterforce tires

Post by astrozam »

Certainly seem like a great price Roy, any chance you could do up a product review ( similiar to what I did for my Michelins? ) that way we'd have a comparison, folks are always asking what tires to buy, the more reviews the better :cheers:

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

How did I miss this. Yes we need details. I have often looked at those, but don't have a dedicated set of winter rims. So how are they? Keep us posted. Thanks. Jim

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

Funny you should ask. It has snowed almost every day since I put them on.

I am very happy with them. The van stops and steers very confindently on snow, and will accelerate nicely. They are also fine on wet roads. No spinning and the anti-locks don't go off unless really pushed. Very different from the worn 235/60s.

They drive as well as any other P215/75R15 tire that I've ran on dry pavement, although there is a little noise. Not enough to be a problem, though.

I drove through like 6" of snow in my yard to get to my concrete slab so I could change my rear shocks (great fun in 6" of snow, lol) and it hardly spun or slipped at all. Any slippage was driver induced, pushing it to see what would happen. I couldn't do this last year with a new set of 225/70/15 all season tires on my 4x4. It wouldn't climb the hill.

I didn't have them studded, but I think that with the soft compound and all of the siping that they will be fine.
One thing I will say, is if you're not lifted, go with the 215/75/15 or smaller, they barely clear the firewall.

Mine were $350 installed, you could do better if you shop around. I'm picky about where I shop, and will pay an extra few bucks for the piece of mind that familiarity gives.

My friend's dad runs them with studs on all of his winter beaters (NOT beaters IMO, one is a 2005 Silverado) and says that they will climb a tree.

Getting a spare set of rims won't cost you much, the ones I just used were free.

Wrote a book again, lol.

red98tj
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by red98tj »

I put a set of these on the Chrysler Town&country van I just bought last month. I had mine studded. They are excellent! A little noisy, but I expect that from a winter tire. got mine installed at sears for $437 size 215/65/16
Vehicles:
2005 Chevy Avalanche
2000 Chevy Astro AWD
2003 Chrysler T&C AWD

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

i missed this thread.. i have 2 cents to add

the caprice classic wheels that I got from my boss have a set of these on them. two are about 20% tread left (were the rears on a 96 impy ss) .. the other two were new. i put them on my 93

even with the low tread that i put on the front they have been great... mind you we've only had about 3 - 4 real days of snow this winter and that was only minor no normal winter conditions.

only thing i found is that fronts want to feather on the outer edges pretty quickly if you find yourself turning with the steering to full lock. solution.. avoid full lock
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

wkastro
I get chills without my van.

Post by wkastro »

When I bought my 2003 AWD Astro in February, 2009, it had a set of Winterforce in the stock size, 215/70R16. I was quite impressed with everything except the noise, which was not as bad as I expected, but still present. I just put on a new set of Michelin 215/70R16 M+S tires, and in the dry, the noise and smoothness is quite a bit better. We'll see how the MICs behave in winter. I also picked up another GM aluminum wheel and did a set of five for a five tire rotation. Pricey, but this is a keeper, and if I ruin a tire, there will be four remaining of comparable wear.

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

Yes I agree, they howl like a banshee at highway speed. Sounds like a whistle at 90. I still like them better than any tire I've ever bought. They're going on my '89 in a bigger size.