Nitto Dune Grapplers

HAVE A TIRE QUESTION? LIKE YOUR TIRES AND WANT TO LET EVERYONE KNOW? NEED TO KNOW IF THEY WILL FIT? POST IT HERE.

Topic author
cd0156
I get chills without my van.

Nitto Dune Grapplers

Post by cd0156 »

I just put these on the van:

I dont know if anyone is running these or not so I figured I would post info.. I am a HUGE fan of the BFG All Terrains.. however, I could not afford to do a new set at the moment, and these were far cheaper..
I did a 31x10.5/15 tire, these are BIGGER than the BFG 31x10.5/15, so I had to do a little more trimming to clear them without rubbing, and they do seem to still rub in a few situations, but are fine for the most part..
They are VERY soft.. which makes them very quiet tires to drive on, but it also menas they will probably not last for very many miles.. The other thing I did not like is that they seem to be VERY thin.. (From inside the tire to the outside of the treads..
They LOOK cool as hell! Definately more of a head turner than the BFGs were!
1999 Astro 4WD
NP231c Transfer Case Conversion, Custom Shifter and Front Driveshaft, 31x10.5x15 BFG AllTerrain, Custom Warn Front Bumper, DHC Rockrails, Superwinch 5000lb winch, Warn Spotlights and Flood lights on Custom Mounts, Thule Roof Racks Safari Rack and Kayak Racks, Alpine Touchscreen AM/FM/XM/CD/DVD/iPod, Eclipse Amps, Focal Utopia Component Speakers, Alpine TypeR 12" Subs, and probably lots more I am forgetting.... seems to happen more and more these days...

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Nitto Dune Grapplers

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Nice looking tire for sure Chris. That front bumper still looks good too! :muhaha:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
cd0156

Post by cd0156 »

That front bumper has been SERIOUSLY abused over the years too! I have winched out various vehicles that were either WAY too heavy or WAY too stuck for me to be trying... and got them all out! I also used it to put up some 15-20 ft trees in the back yard, and it gets stood on almost weekly!
1999 Astro 4WD
NP231c Transfer Case Conversion, Custom Shifter and Front Driveshaft, 31x10.5x15 BFG AllTerrain, Custom Warn Front Bumper, DHC Rockrails, Superwinch 5000lb winch, Warn Spotlights and Flood lights on Custom Mounts, Thule Roof Racks Safari Rack and Kayak Racks, Alpine Touchscreen AM/FM/XM/CD/DVD/iPod, Eclipse Amps, Focal Utopia Component Speakers, Alpine TypeR 12" Subs, and probably lots more I am forgetting.... seems to happen more and more these days...

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

I see just a tiny weight on the outside of that tire. How much on the inside? Did the others balance out about the same? Based on what I see, they look like they balanced out easy...

You mention they are cheaper than the BFGs... how much?

They are cool looking tires!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

yeah, how much cheaper? I pay about $100 for my BFGs and get 50k out of a set. I'm on my third set now.
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

LastCat
I am smitten with my van

Post by LastCat »

More Pics, More Pics !!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Hey cd, looking great, very stout looking. Do you have any full size pics of your van? Side view, front view, etc....

Thanks
LC

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

They look great, Chris! =D>
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
cd0156

Post by cd0156 »

I just made a post in Off Topic yesterday with pics from my Lake O trip.. there are a few full size pics.. If anyone has requests for a pic from a certain angle, ect.. pm me and I will post it in the appropriate spot..

I paid $445 for all four delivered, but that was my cost as a dealer. Not that being a dealer means much.. it was these or a Kuhmo from Tire Rack The Kuhmos were a little cheaper but I had to pay shipping, the Nittos were a little more, but no shipping, thus about $8 less.. My cost on the Kuhmos was $6 per tire less than Tire Racks online retail prices, plus shipping on top of that!! I think on the Nittos I got about $10 off per tire, so you should be able to find em close to that.. Desert Rat tires had em cheaper than I get em for but the shipping was more..

$100 for BFGs is a great price in the AT/KO 31x10.5/15.. I would have stuck with em for that price b/c I love those tires.. I usually get em for about $185 each..

They balanced pretty well, but I think one is off or my alignment is still not perfest.. I am going to rotate them and see what happens.
1999 Astro 4WD

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

I don't run 31s as they won't fit with my current set-up;only 30s so maybe that why they are a bit cheaper. Granted to get $100 each, i usually have to wait for a sale or negotiate a little with the guy.
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

LaGrasta wrote:I don't run 31s as they won't fit with my current set-up;only 30s so maybe that why they are a bit cheaper. Granted to get $100 each, i usually have to wait for a sale or negotiate a little with the guy.
Yeah, $100 a tire for BFGs, even 30s, is a great price. It used to be easy to find them in the $100-120 range, but they have sure gone up. (That's why I've been running Pro-Comps as I can get them for about $100-120 a tire [shipped] on sale.)
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Topic author
cd0156

Post by cd0156 »

Tried em out in the rain for the first time yesterday.. Awesome!
No matter how hard I tried, could not break the rear wheels free on freshly wet pavement that has not been wet for months, so lots of oil and stuff.. also no pull to the side in puddles like my bfgs did... then again my camber was screwed up when I had the bfgs so that would probably make a difference too..
1999 Astro 4WD