Removing Stuck Wheel

FROM STOCK 15" STEELIES TO WILD 24" WHEELS, THEY GO HERE.

Topic author
Southern
I finally get the smurf thing

Removing Stuck Wheel

Post by Southern »

Any tricks for removing my stuck rear wheels? The lug nuts come off easily but my aluminum wheels are stuck. I had this happen last time I went to rotate my tires. The tire guy couldn't get them off, he beat on it with a big hammer. When I got it home I was able to get them off by kicking the tire from the back side. This time I tried kicking from the back side but no luck after soaking with penetrating oil.

I've read that putting on the lug nuts finger tight and drive the van back and forth several times will break them loose, anyone try this?

BTW, my Astro recently turned 200k miles, I still have the original fuel pump, engine and trans.
92 Astro Conversion Van 2WD
Vin Z Engine
Eaton Posi

Overnite
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Re: Removing Stuck Wheel

Post by Overnite »

When I worked at a tire shop most of the time we could kick them off from behind but when we couldn't we took a short piece of 2x4 and put the end of it on the bead of the rim in the rear and whacked it with a big hammer. This should work if you hit it in one place and turn the rim a little and keep working your way around it. If you get them off, put some anti sieze around the center of the brake drum where the hole in your rim contacts it. I hope this helps you.

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

You can use a long prybar or piece of wood as a lever. Stick it between the edge of the drum and the wheel on the inside and lever away. If it doesn't come lose, rotate the wheel 90 degrees and repeat until it comes off.

Alternatively, you can loosen the lug nuts and just drive around the block until you start hearing clunking noises on corners.
:muhaha:
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

Topic author
Southern
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Southern »

Thanks for the suggestions.

Since I don't have a lift it would be difficult for me to swing a big hammer on the inside of the tire. I will try loosing the lug nuts and drive around the block.

The last time I had the wheels off (1 year ago) I put anti-seize on the hub of the wheel. This works well if you remove the wheels at least every 6 months but over a years time it doesn't. I'm wondering if a thin coating of synthetic grease would work better.
92 Astro Conversion Van 2WD
Vin Z Engine
Eaton Posi

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

The other idea I have heard is to use a bee's wax toilet seal. Heat the rim and brake up a little and melt the wax around the centre and it should help lube the tire and break free.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

Some may not like this idea, but it does work. Loosen the lugs, snug them back up, then loosen them a quarter turn, now drive the van a little. Slowly around the block is usually enough for me to break them loose.

Use extreme caution when trying this method. The safety of others is more important than breaking your wheels loose.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

If the wheels are stuck we can speculate that the drums may also be stuck. I bet that the wax idea would help free them up too.
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles