front and rear suspension noise.

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
thegreenmachine
I get chills without my van.

front and rear suspension noise.

Post by thegreenmachine »

posted in other forum as well :whistle:

Hi guys.
As of late ive been having a lot of noise created by going over bumps.

As for the front end, it only happens if one tire, most noticably drivers side front has hit a pothole, or cracks in the pavement. I noticed it on my way back from camping, after driving down a loggin road, a month after doing the lift, and two days after the alignment.
Ive replaced the idlers twice each since, upper balljoints, brake pads and anti-rattle clips. Rancho 5000 shocks. 4 turns on the tbar.

Note: ball joints are installed in stock fashion on top of the upper control arm, as i didn't know whether i needed special parts to bolt them under. Maybe someone out there in internet land has the answer.

The noise never to rarely happen while going over speed bumps, regardless of speed, as long as i hit with both tires at the same time.

as for the rear, well this is a new one.

it only started happening a few weeks ago, and was noticable louder while carrying the tools.

The passenger side rear has developed a clunking, when hitting potholes as well.
the suspesion setup is s-10 3+1 springs with Rancho 5000's.
but never to rarely does it on speed bumps.

I'm stumped. and i refuse to throw any more money at the front end until i know what is the issue, and i dont trust mechanics, (maybe i should send my wife to the shop with the van, maybe they'll give her an estimate)

Last time, i took my van to the stealership in chilliwack where i live, and they guy drove it around the block, to test that what i said was correct ( power steering pump)
and he handed me a list like 15 items long and a 3500+ quote without even popping the hood. but anyway. rant over.

i have no idea where to start
2003 Chevrolet Astro 4wd np233c transfercase 245/75/16 ETS Trailermaster tires
ImageImageImage
Previous:
1995 Safari AWD (death by torsion bar. a.k.a. "the final straw")
1999 Safari AWD ( death by tree x2 )
1997 safari rwd cargo ( sold @ 450,000+ km )

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: front and rear suspension noise.

Post by Smiliesafari »

Check the upper control arm bushings. I've had to replace mine. Check for loose shocks. Check the upper control arm cross shaft. The nuts that hold it in place have been known to come loose.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

I also have a lifted van, and a noise coming from the suspension. I've checked over all the suspension parts and they're fine. It only happens when the suspension is flexed asymmetrically and it's much louder when it's raining. When it's dry it might come out as a thunk or two, whereas when it's wet, it will be more drawn out like a low groan or creak. These two clues lead me to believe that it's the stabilizer bar bushings (which are in good shape). The lifted geometry probably just makes them a bit unhappy. It's been doing it for years now without problem so I've just accepted it.

As for your rear end.. check the mounting bolt tightness on shocks and springs and axle mounts too. The spring shackles that came with my overland kit have zerk fittings that need grease.

The only parts you need to relocate your balljoints is a strong set of nuts and bolts.

Snowgeek
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Snowgeek »

My rear end clunks have always been my shocks being loose after my overland kit install. The rancho 5000 bushings / spacers that came with are not quite right and they loosened up a few times in the back end. Now i am just left with squeaky creaky sounds in my right rear suspension...and i too have not been able to get this quieted up.

As to the ball joints, this is how that looks. As it has been stated it is just 4 very strong bolts and well for me half a case of broken drill bits...thank goodness for the drill doctor #-o

Ryan

2004 Astro (was AWD now 4X4) 125,000 miles: purchased April 2012
Colorado Camper Van poptop
4" Overland lift, Rancho 5000 Cooper AT3 245/75/16 C,
4x4 - NP236 Transfercase
Propex HS2211 propane heater
I am copying a few of you hope you don't mind!

See my build here

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Check the exhaust pipe coming out at the right rear. It could be hitting the leaf springs occasionally. I also agree, double check the shock bolts and leaf spring bolts that were removed and/or changed during the lift installation.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

My OEM springs had rectangular rubber pads where they mounted to the axle. Did you transfer those over to your new springs?

Topic author
thegreenmachine
I get chills without my van.

Post by thegreenmachine »

i did transfer the pads to my new springs.

maybe more info is needed.

i built the lift rather than ordering it from olv.

gerald never got back to me with pricing, and after multiple emails, i gave up.

rear springs are 3+1 s-10's out of a 92, i saw at pick-a-part.

it also makes noise in the front over every bump/pot hole/uneven pavement/dirt road/rock at the river sounds like my front end s gonna fall out
2003 Chevrolet Astro 4wd np233c transfercase 245/75/16 ETS Trailermaster tires
ImageImageImage
Previous:
1995 Safari AWD (death by torsion bar. a.k.a. "the final straw")
1999 Safari AWD ( death by tree x2 )
1997 safari rwd cargo ( sold @ 450,000+ km )

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Your gonna have to jack it up and use a pry bar to move the tires up/down, back/forth and in/out to see if you can replicate the noise. Probably gonna find a loose or worn shock bolt, sway bar link etc.

Sometimes we find noises coming from the strangest places...like something in the door pocket or the Maglight under the passenger seat. :yawinkle:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy