Shock Absorber choices?

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Shock Absorber choices?

Post by WE7X »

I now have the parts to raise my '98 van a couple of inches, bu I am wondering if there are 'Good" alternatives to the Rancho shocks I see often mentioned.
I do not do "Off-Road' stuff, but I do get on a lot of logging roads and easily passable flatland tracks occasionally.
I am wondering if there is some compromise between something that does not jar my teeth when crossing overly aggressive speed bumps in parking lots, and reasonable control on chuck holes and rough spots on logging roads, yet does not wallow on the highway.
I have very little experience with the various shock that are available, although I did install quite a few KYB's in years past, when I had an import repair shop. I have no idea how the Gas-Adjust or the Excel version might perform on our heavier vans. I have seen some good recommendations for coil over designs ( Monroe?). I do not carry the maximum weight on my excursions, but it does load the back some.
Some have told me they think the Rancho's are too stiff ( based upon owners of other makes of vehicles), but they seem to be fairly well liked by Astro owners.
_ All input is welcomed.
rod Johnson
Issaquah, WA
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Forest Green Metallic '98 LS AWD
Issaquah, WA

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Shock Absorber choices?

Post by MountainManJoe »

I was happy with the Rancho's I had. I didn't find them too stiff. KYB, Monroe and Gabriel are all good quality, reputable manufacturers. Since you get on logging roads frequently, you might benefit from a more "performance" model, which will likely have a monotube design. (gas-a-just for KYB). Bore size would be another spec to compare. Personally, I just look for whatever brand is discounted and easiest to obtain. I probably wouldn't even notice the difference between them.
Coil-overs will stiffen the suspension, so if you aren't loaded then they'll rattle your teeth out.

okie1
I sleep in my van

Post by okie1 »

KYB for mine, but it is a 1994 2wd & pretty much stays on the highways. :supz:

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

I've been running the adjustable Rancho (5000?) for several years.I'm not sure what the adjustment is for as I have had them as tight (hard) as they will go and still find them a little soft. Same with the S10 springs. Too soft and had to add leaves. These vans are so heavy I'm not sure what it takes to get them to ride stiff, but then I don't wear pearls....
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

KYB gas-a-just are on sale right now from Rockauto.
Only $29.79.

Joez
I am merely driving my van

Post by Joez »

Hi, I have a 1999 GMC Safari SLT AWD lifted 3-4 inches. I bought it years ago and pretty much it has been parked.
Project: BAJA AWD!!!
Project: BAJA AWD!!!
It has been going thru a complete makeover this past summer! It certainly is Looking & getting ready for
Adventures!
I cannot read any current info from front or rear Shocks. I am looking to replace them ASAP!!!
I do not want a STIFF ride! Medium ride, more for Beaches & Highways, Camping roads.
does anyone have recommendations?
I really need part #s or Model & Part numbers. as the New Shocks will require different height and
Travel length from any Stock Safari Shock.
30" Calvary "directional" Tires
30" Calvary "directional" Tires
Please Help! Thank You..... Joe

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

here you go
Attachments
astroliftshocks.png

Joez