Hd leafs?

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
Shamrox4
I am merely driving my van

Hd leafs?

Post by Shamrox4 »

Hey guys ? For ya's does anyone know what interchangeable if any leaf springs will fit in 98 Safari awd. I'm lifted 3" front and back need to go HD. Thanks in advance

98 safari awd
3" body lift
3" suspension
31x10.50x15
Hidden winch (custom made)

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Hd leafs?

Post by Herbie »

Shamrox4 wrote:Hey guys ? For ya's does anyone know what interchangeable if any leaf springs will fit in 98 Safari awd. I'm lifted 3" front and back need to go HD. Thanks in advance
You'll want to look at the S-10 rear springs. Part # UCF America 22-687-ME is the 1350# load spring. This is the same load rating as OEM, but arched higher (so "lift only"). For most people this is the correct set of springs.

There is another part# 22-687HD which is the "Heavy Duty" load rating (1750#). Those will likely ride very harshly unless you actually need the extra 400lbs load rating (i.e. you routinely run very heavy in the rear). Note that if you're running 1750# springs and a matching heavy load, you'll probably need more damping too, so look to replacing your shocks.

Do you just want lift, or do you really need the HD springs?
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

I love my S-10 leafs! BIG change in ride over mushy stock. Quite firm not quite harsh. truck-like. Loaded 1000lbs of mulch BEHIND the rear seat with no issues.
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

Topic author
Shamrox4

Post by Shamrox4 »

Thank you for information guys.
I just added new leafs from a donar Astro, which had 3+1's . Assuming these are oem leafs, forgot to look at rpo codes yesterday. Loving the ride so far, didn't change shocks yet. What would you suggest for shocks, and yes I'd like to achieve a little xtra lift if at all possible.

98 safari awd
3" body lift
3" suspension
31x10.50x15
Hidden winch (custom made)

Mmusicman
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Mmusicman »

Shamrox4 wrote:Thank you for information guys.
I just added new leafs from a donar Astro.....
yes I'd like to achieve a little xtra lift if at all possible.
Seems a little silly that you came here asking about "interchangeable HD leafs" that would give you lift as well... you got a great and very informative answer with several options (complete with rating specs and part numbers) ... and then you went and installed basically the same stock Astro springs! Now you reply back that you are STILL looking for "xtra lift"... "if at all possible". Well, I think you know it certainly IS possible... and S-10 springs would have nicely accomplished both your initial requests.

I would assume if you're going to run 31" tires, you are going to need better than factory "stock".

Like the other reply posters, I am also running the S-10 springs.. and they work perfectly!

For more lift (without using suggested heavier HD S-10 springs which fit perfectly)... there's always shackles and blocks. (both also work satisfactorily for lift only)

Good luck.
-
2000 Chevy Astro LS AWD | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

There's no lift to be had from shocks - they're dampers only. Lift will come from the springs, or from changing shackles, or lift blocks. There are a lot of options. For the price, a set of junkyard S-10 springs is your best bet.

The Astro and S-10 springs are both 3+1s and the same rating, just that the S-10 springs have more arch.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

And once you have achieved your desired height, you will need to change your shocks as has been mentioned to a longer unit or stay with the stock length and modify the lower mounts to raise the lower shock eye up 2". It's on line
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

BobcatKW

Post by BobcatKW »

Just installed the 1350 # Leaf Springs(Michigan Truck Springs)....raised up the rear around 6" ( I carry a lot of tools) I'm very happy

that I did not go the 1700# route..Might need to raise the front a couple of inches now so that I can see Stoplights changing.

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

The springs will settle some eventually.

If you actually need increased load capacity and not as much lift then Astro 22-1195HD springs would be an option. #1700 load capacity and not as much arch as S10 springs.
2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander

BobcatKW

Post by BobcatKW »

I like the lift, just put My 60 gallon air compressor on the Hitch Basket/hauler and it weighs around 200 lbs...not a problem :guitar:

(as seen in my Avatar)

Bret Schmerker
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Bret Schmerker »

:cheers: Thanks for the clue on multileaves for the rear end. UCF America P/N 22-687-ME is almost a shortlist for the 9" full-float when I place the order to Currie Enterprises, Inc., in south State; I also plan on disc/drum upgrade brakes but need to ascertain the correct dimensions of rotor, should I stay with the 5-on-5" lug pattern and 15" rims. (Full-float is a lot easier with 6-on-5-1/2" due to better clearance for both the full-float hubs and the parking leading/trailings; Ford Motor Company should have appropriate 6-on-5-1/2" disc/drum rotors from certain years of E-150, F-150 and Expedition.)
1997 GMC M11006 (Safari SLE, 2WD, V6-4300/4L60-E/7.625" 3.73:1 open)
Acquired Jul 2018 / In service Sep 2018 - Nov 2022 / down due leaky valve(s) #5 cyl.