Which Power Steering Pump to Get

ANYTHING TO DO WITH STEERING, FROM STOCK TO RACK AND PINION UPGRADES

Topic author
Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Which Power Steering Pump to Get

Post by Rileysowner »

Looking at the various options in PS pumps and I find that it is not only the with or without reservoir, but also whether it includes the EVO or not, which I assume means if it does not you use the EVO currently on the system. So what sold I order. The least expensive option is without the reservoir, but that adds additional work.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Which Power Steering Pump to Get

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Rileysowner wrote:Looking at the various options in PS pumps and I find that it is not only the with or without reservoir, but also whether it includes the EVO or not, which I assume means if it does not you use the EVO currently on the system. So what sold I order. The least expensive option is without the reservoir, but that adds additional work.
I usually ask the parts store for the pump listed for my year make and model of van.
Then they ask if I want a reservoir or not.
I choose not, because the reservoir is just a container that the pump sits in.
If its an external reservoir style, the pump still lives in a container of a different shape, that you dont need to buy.
Confused now?
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

doyoulikeithere wrote:
Rileysowner wrote:Looking at the various options in PS pumps and I find that it is not only the with or without reservoir, but also whether it includes the EVO or not, which I assume means if it does not you use the EVO currently on the system. So what sold I order. The least expensive option is without the reservoir, but that adds additional work.
I usually ask the parts store for the pump listed for my year make and model of van.
Then they ask if I want a reservoir or not.
I choose not, because the reservoir is just a container that the pump sits in.
If its an external reservoir style, the pump still lives in a container of a different shape, that you dont need to buy.
Confused now?
Yes, the pump sits in the reservoir. I take it that switching it is not that difficult?
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

I've had about 3 of those fail. Usually whilst doing big noisy donuts in a snowy parking lot during the first snowfall ! LOL, Remember that !
Yes, its a bunch cheaper to just buy the pump, without a res. Its easy enough to change it out.
Pretty sure the ones that have an external res are the same design of pump in a different shape container.
Getting the pullly off is the challenge! You need a pulley puller.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

While I'm crawling under the van replacing the oil pan, figured I may as well replace the PS pump that's been leaking pretty bad. I cleaned it all up and found that it's not leaking from any of the hoses or connections, but running down the back of the reservoir from a location I cannot see (not the supply line). I have no experience w/power steering so my question is: should I go for a reman or suck up the extra hundred for a new?
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

It seems my van is springing leaks everywhere lately! Photo_van, mine is doing the same thing, I just replaced the weeping power steering cooler return line and am considering a rebuild kit for the pump. Cheap and how hard can it be? Plenty of how-to guides out there... If I don't do that, it will be a new AC Delco pump for sure as I just don't have much faith in some of the rebuild stuff out there.

Gates rebuild kit:

http://www.amazon.com/Gates-350390-Powe ... B000C2UEVQ

AC Delco 36-0057 OE Pump:

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-36-0057-S ... B001NZZA42
2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

wow! That Delco pump is priced right for new!!?? Unfortunately it doesn't seem to fit a 98 which seems weird :-s Anybody out there know what the difference is?
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

To good to be true; READ THE FINE PRINT!

"100% new, premium-grade seals, including high-temperature double-lip Viton seals for durability and reliability
Surface wear on cam packs are micro-finished for durable, quiet operation"

the seals are 100% new! There is no "surface wear" on a new pump that needs to be "micro finished".....
1998 AWD/4WD
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

That's interesting though I wonder if that isn't just some stock (mis) information they have listed.

AC Delco #36-0057 is listed as "GM Original Equipment", not reman on the AC Delco site: http://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalo ... search.php

I emailed AC Delco asking for clarification and I'll post the reply.

Rock Auto also references the same OE info along with the original part #88963501 which can be had for $120 or so from GM Parts East: http://www.gmpartseast.com/Page_Product ... =53M&Year=

My bet is that it is a new pump but curious to know for sure now.

AC Delco site lists as fitting 2002-2005, GM Parts East 1999-2005 and Rock Auto 1996-2005 so I think you'd be fine with that pump.

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

Thanks for that info, it will be good to get it from the manufacturers mouth! I started questioning it when I went to "more info" and it talked about reman pumps.

Thanks for researching it! :cheers:
1998 AWD/4WD
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

AC Delco reply:
Thank you for visiting the ACDelco website.

Regarding your inquiry on power steering pump #36-0057, it is showing to be an Original Equipment part so it is not rebuilt or remanufactured.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact our experts at the ACDelco support center by dialing 1-800-ACDELCO (223-3526).

Regards,

ACDelco Internet Response Team

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

Great, thanks. Just ordered one. Got mine out today. Not a bad job, took a couple of hours. The rear hanger nut was awkward. It's good to know that bracket is slotted so you don't have to remove the nut.
1998 AWD/4WD
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

You're welcome, I like to know what I'm purchasing as well.

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

Got my new AC Delco PS pump installed ($127 thru Amazon). The pump differs from the 97 and 98 models in that it doesn't have the EVO unit on back and that it is ~$200 cheaper.
_MG_2720.jpg
_MG_2719.jpg
Using this pump required using a newer (99) high pressure line.

The EVO was acting up at snow speeds anyway so I'm happy to be rid of it
1998 AWD/4WD
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

That's interesting, I don't remember my '97 having EVO but it's been so long I could have forgotten! New pump is looking good! :cheers: