ANYTHING TO DO WITH STEERING, FROM STOCK TO RACK AND PINION UPGRADES

Topic author
gmcsasquatch
I am merely driving my van
Location: The misty mountains of the Olympic/Kitsap Peninsula

alignment knock outs

Post by gmcsasquatch »

Hey guys, I put took the van to the shop for an computerized alignment as I can't do that myself. They quoted me $75. They call me an hour later and say that they have to remove the knock outs to align everything correctly. Suddenly the price jumps from $75 to $300 something. What's the deal. How hard is it to knock out some metal esp if it was designed to be removed?

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: alignment knock outs

Post by MountainManJoe »

They would have to remove the upper control arms and get in there with an air chisel, but I don't see it taking 2 hrs either. Do it yourself.

Topic author
gmcsasquatch
Location: The misty mountains of the Olympic/Kitsap Peninsula

Re: alignment knock outs

Post by gmcsasquatch »

Well I was at home when they called me about the knock outs, so I didn't want to have to call someone, get a ride to the shop, take her back home and drive it to my friends house who has the necessary tools just to tap out the knock outs. Oh well, I overpaid.

On the plus side, my van has never driven so good. Gone is the tire scuffing when I turn sharply. I tough replacing the tie rods would fix that problem, but it wasn't until I got a proper alignment that all the scuffing nonsense was resolved.