Power steering fluid leak at cooler connection

ANYTHING TO DO WITH STEERING, FROM STOCK TO RACK AND PINION UPGRADES

Topic author
baytonemus
I am smitten with my van

Power steering fluid leak at cooler connection

Post by baytonemus »

Man, was I excited to find this forum today! I've been meandering around aimlessly in other general automotive repair forums for WAY too long.

I've got a power steering fluid leak down where one of the hoses is crimped onto the cooler. It's not impossible that it might be leaking elsewhere, too, but I thought I'd start with the obvious culprit. Seems like for the price I might as well replace that whole unit (https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Cata ... 30+2030356). It will be about $20 with my discount.

Two questions: First, how much disassembly will be required to get at everything? Second, how much of the fluid is going to drain out? I figured I'd just cut one of the old hoses and let it drain that way.

Also, out of curiosity, I've read here that some folks have upgraded to a different style of PS fluid cooler with coils and fins mounted up in front of the radiator. Under what kind of operating conditions would that be necessary?

Thanks!
2000 Safari AWD 4.3L

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Power steering fluid leak at cooler connection

Post by astroturf »

First & Foremost, Welcome Aboard...

Secondly, I have never messed with the PS System. Knock Wood. But, If it has worked all these years for so many, Why change it (the design)?

Good Luck and Keep us posted, Jim

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Welcome. I think the cooler you are refering to in front of the radiator is for engine oil. The P/S steering cooler is nothing more than a tube tucked behind the front bumper. There's no need to do an upgrade.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
baytonemus
I am smitten with my van

Post by baytonemus »

Thanks, guys. I had seen a couple posts like this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3767&p=45529&hilit= ... ler#p45529

Curiosity more than anything. The more critical thing at the moment is to just get it fixed. So, any help for me on the procedure?
2000 Safari AWD 4.3L

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

No need to upgrade to a tube and fin cooler. I did one in my 4x4 lifted Astro because we were out wheeling all day in the heat and the power steering system was being stressed running aired down 33's. Once you disconnect the old cooler, the new one will go right in. Not much to it. Get a quart or 2 of power steering fluid and flush the system out while you are there.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
baytonemus
I am smitten with my van

Post by baytonemus »

Thanks for your reply, Lifted. The only leak that I was aware of was coming from one of the cooler connections. Now that I've got the thing taken apart, I'm not sure what to think. The pressure hose from the pump to the hydroboost is really wet, too, and there's a lot of fluid on everything back in that area. That connection on the back of the hydroboost looks really tough to get at.

Also, if I may vent for a minute, taking that D**N fan off is a huge pain in the butt. I made a holding tool that is basically a bracket that I connect from one of the alternator bolts to one of the fan clutch bolts, but it's really tedious to get the latter in and out. Is there a better way?
2000 Safari AWD 4.3L

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

To get the fan off, you need to remove the top half of the shroud. That is more of a pain than the fan. To loosen the fan, I use a large adjustable wrench and a dead blow hammer to usually hit it once.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
baytonemus
I am smitten with my van

Post by baytonemus »

Thanks for that tip. I'll try it next time. I've used that technique to get the flywheel off of my OB motor.

I did decide to also replace the hoses from the hydro to the gear and from the pump to the hydro while I was at it. Regarding the latter, I spent a good part of the day staring, scratching my head, running for tools (twice), and never could figure out how to get a wrench on the fitting on the back of the pump. I could get a crowfoot flare nut wrench on the thing but didn't have enough clearance past the bottom of the pump (coming forward) for the socket extension.

I'm not a professional mechanic, but I'm reasonably resourceful and I'm stumped. Do you actually have to remove the drag links to get at that? Any help would be greatly appreciated, otherwise I'm going to have to wave the white flag.
2000 Safari AWD 4.3L

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

I replaced the steering box in my '97 Safari 2wd and can say for sure I would drop the box if I had to reach the fittings again. Here is a thread I did on the other site. Hope it helps.
http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9383
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

Topic author
baytonemus
I am smitten with my van

Post by baytonemus »

Thanks for that link, WB. Ouch.

I scanned your write-up, but I don't think you replaced the line I'm talking about, did you? It's the one from the hydro down to the back of the pump. Maybe I missed it. Mine is AWD, btw.
2000 Safari AWD 4.3L

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

No, I didn't. Point is the same though, might be easier to move the pump.

I had a '74 Pinto, damdest thing, you needed to unbolt the motor mount and lift the engine to change the starter.

What year is the van? The Haynes manual I have is '85- '98. If it applies I would be happy to scan and post any info I can find.
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

Topic author
baytonemus
I am smitten with my van

Post by baytonemus »

Thanks, but it's a 2000 with AC. Looks to me like the AC compressor would have to come out because they're both bolted into a cast bracket fastened to the front of the motor. Could be wrong about that...
2000 Safari AWD 4.3L