need tips on replacing Idler arm

ANYTHING TO DO WITH STEERING, FROM STOCK TO RACK AND PINION UPGRADES

Topic author
batmo
I sleep in my van

need tips on replacing Idler arm

Post by batmo »

mabey its the larger tires but it seems the steering has become even more sloppy since then. Ive allready replaced the tie rod ends and ball joints but just before the new tires. pretty much has to be the idler arm or steering box then right?

easier to replace the idler arm than steering box so I'll start there and hope that takes care of it.

is a Moog replacement available for the earliest vans if not whats the highest quality replacement?

any tips on removing the old one also apreciated.

thanks

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Re: need tips on replacing Idler arm

Post by Kidhauler »

moog is the best parts to use. Do not put OEM idler arms back in as they are junk. You only need to unbolt the arm from the tie rod then with a pickle fork pound the arm out. It then unbolts from the frame and you just need to bolt the new one in place and tighten up the ball joint to the tie rod. the drivers side is easy as you can get a socket on it fairly easy. I had a bit of a harder time on my 89,90,91 vans doing the passenger side as there is some oil cooler lines running close to the bolts. You just need to use a wrench on them so it takes a little longer. You should be able to do both arms in about 2 hours or less depending on how hard you are working.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

check www.rockauto.com
they have moog oem idlers and moog idler arms named "the problem solver".
I thought my idlers were gone just recently, turned out to be the power steering gear box.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

As stated before, use Moog Idlers only. Unfortunately our steering system is not the best design, and there is allot of stress put upon the idler arms, so I highly recommend paying the extra to fit the "macho" Moog idlers. Any other cheap make will not last more than a year, before you have the same symptoms again.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Topic author
batmo
I sleep in my van

Post by batmo »

are there two options from Moog for the idler arms and do they both have grease fittings on them?

theres also a rod coming off the steering box going to the center link, is that replacable?

thanks again

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Yes the drag link and center link are replaceable but why? Same question on the idlers (there are 2 per van). Why do they need changing? All you stated was the front end seems a little more loose. You really need to jack it up and check for looseness. Chances are the idlers are worn if they have a lot of miles but the other tie rod ends and links are probably fine unless they haven't been maintained.

There is a way to adjust your steering box too. Do a search for it. If I find it first, I'll post a link.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

just as a point of reference, the symptoms from my bad gear box were:
slop in the steering
over-steer when changing lanes
bump steer at slow speeds
resistance when steering right, no resistance when steering left.

and this was after adjusting the gear. My box was the original with 142K miles on it. It got spooky to drive to say the least.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Topic author
batmo
I sleep in my van

Post by batmo »

well I dont have much slop in the steering wheel and no over-steer when lane changing and bump steer seems normal too.

great advice Kings-X! thanks. probably the idlers then.

the S.box is original and has lots of miles too but Im just not noticing those symptoms.

probably should replace it anyway. whats the higest quality steering boxes?

mabey I should consider a rack-n-pinion conversion instead though. Ive done it on other cars so why not? hmm..

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

Just curious, where would one get a steering box?

As stated, idler arms are easy to replace. The most difficult thing I faced was how rusted the bolts securing it to the frame were, and one of the idler studs had some damaged threads that made getting the nut off difficult once it was popped free. I tightened it back up so it was holding again loosened the nut so it only had a couple of threads still on, then popped it loose again. Then I could get it off.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by snapple »

Kidhauler wrote:moog is the best parts to use. Do not put OEM idler arms back in as they are junk. You only need to unbolt the arm from the tie rod then with a pickle fork pound the arm out. It then unbolts from the frame and you just need to bolt the new one in place and tighten up the ball joint to the tie rod. the drivers side is easy as you can get a socket on it fairly easy. I had a bit of a harder time on my 89,90,91 vans doing the passenger side as there is some oil cooler lines running close to the bolts. You just need to use a wrench on them so it takes a little longer. You should be able to do both arms in about 2 hours or less depending on how hard you are working.

I usually use a pickle fork also. However last week when doing this job. I couldn't get it to break free! ](*,) So I used a tie rod press and it popped right off so fast, I'll be using this method from now on! :supz:
'94 Astro AWD EXT LT - Over 211,000 ,parts van now!
DHC Rock rails
Overland Vans 4" lift kit and bumper w/grille guard
Fiamma awning

'95 Astro AWD EXT CS - Just over 99,000 miles

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

For the money and the improvement in the steering system the rack and pinion is the way to go. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

Smiliesafari wrote:For the money and the improvement in the steering system the rack and pinion is the way to go. \:D/
I wish either 1. I felt confident enough to put in R&P my self, or 2. I liked closer to you Smiliesafari. I would love to go to a rack and pinion system.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/