Shaking in Steering or not?

ANYTHING TO DO WITH STEERING, FROM STOCK TO RACK AND PINION UPGRADES

Topic author
Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Shaking in Steering or not?

Post by Rileysowner »

Ok, here is a problem that seems to have come up recently with my '97. I haven't been able to check things out as I had a sever bout of pneumonia in December that did not clear up for a month, then with a change in meds it did, only to have me blood pressure go extremely high leading to a small stroke which put me in the hospital for the last week of January and Feb. has been lots of doctor appointments and recuperation from all this.

Now to my van. This is most noticable at higher speeds, but may be there at lower ones. When driving down straight flat roads the steering wheel vibrates a very small distance 2 mm maybe. Now comes the difficult part, because there is also a vibration of the whole van, and sometimes the steering wheel with stop vibrating but the van will continue to vibrate. Any ideas on what I should look at. I was thinking rotating the tires to see if that changes it at all would be an easy start, but what else could it be. I would like to get things running smoothly.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Shaking in Steering or not?

Post by astrozam »

Rileysowner wrote:as I had a sever bout of pneumonia in December that did not clear up for a month, then with a change in meds it did, only to have me blood pressure go extremely high leading to a small stroke which put me in the hospital for the last week of January and Feb. has been lots of doctor appointments and recuperation from all this.
Sounds like you've been a busy camper keeping our socialized medicine afloat...lol Anyways glad to hear you are feeling better Jim, as to the van problem I'm not really sure could be driveline, tires, bearings, hopefully someone else had a similiar experiences and can pin-point it for you.

Topic author
Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

I was very thankful for our socialized medicine here in Canada. They treated me quickly and well, and they continue to do so. No complaints from me.
Jim

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Glad you are feeling better. =D>

I would look to tires first. Possibly one threw a balance weight. The next thing would be a u-joint.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

I will have to do that when I can. I had the rear U-joint replaced last year in June. I wonder if the other has went now. It does not feel the same, but maybe it felt like this early on and I didn't notice it.
Jim