steering box play/rack and pinion swap

ANYTHING TO DO WITH STEERING, FROM STOCK TO RACK AND PINION UPGRADES

Topic author
sfeaver
I sleep in my van

steering box play/rack and pinion swap

Post by sfeaver »

I just realized that an 2002 Olds Bravada came stock with a steering rack? Anyone know how much different their front ends were compared to the Astro?

I've got my steering box off again, cant stand the play in it. Its not in the gear mesh, its the pitman shaft moving side to side a small amount before the pitman arm moves. I dont mean play to the arm itself, it is the shaft sticking out of the box moving side to side.

I ordered a new bearing, and that is a touch looser than the existing one. Anyway to clear this up? Anyone have the dimention of a new pitman shaft? This is one is 1.250" but the new bearing must have almost 0.010" clearence. I wonder if the shaft should be a touch thicker.

This is a rebuilt box, I dont think they do much to them other than reset up the bearing/lash and paint em. This is on a 97 FE2 van. They dont sell a new box, i would have bought one by now for the amount of time I've been messing with this play.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: steering box play/rack and pinion swap

Post by Smiliesafari »

I can't answer your questions on the steering box but to be worn out is a bit unusual. They can be adjusted to take out some play. I replaced all of the steering in my van with rack and pinion. Oh boy, here we go again. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

I replaced all of the steering in my van with rack and pinion. Oh boy, here we go again.
:muhaha: [-X :whistle:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

I'm goin' to turn this one over to you Larry. :muhaha: :muhaha:

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Even tho its impossible to safely install an r&p in one of these vans it would be cool to see a third person attempt such tom-foolary, but be forewarned Scott... attempting an r&p swap will cause catocalysmic(sp) shifting of the polar axis, black holes to appear and terrible bump-steer... OR it might just turn out o.k and you'll be happy with it, kinda a 50/50 thing,do it for the pride of the Hammer :supz: don't forget to take lots of pics :cheers:

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

:muhaha: :muhaha: :muhaha: :muhaha: :muhaha: :muhaha: :muhaha: :muhaha: :muhaha:

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

Oh jeez! Not the rack & pinion debate again! Is it going to be :swords: or :cheers: this time? I'm going to watch from a safe distance! :peep:

I like emoticons...
:D
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

I'm goin' to turn this one over to you Larry.
[-X

Not going to happen Skip. [-( Think we lost a member over the last round of R&P conversation.
Love Keith's verbal display. :whistle:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words