install P/S pulley

ANYTHING TO DO WITH STEERING, FROM STOCK TO RACK AND PINION UPGRADES

Topic author
Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

install P/S pulley

Post by Kidhauler »

Hello all.

Here is the question of the day. I have pulled the power steering pulley while trying to find a coolant leak. (long story)
I need to know what size bolt I need to thread into the stem on the pump to push the pulley back on. I read the thread on replacing the pump but it didn't mention the bolt.

I know there is supposed to be a tool to do this but I can't seem to find one anywhere. We have been to every parts store and tool rental place in the area and no luck. In the repair manual it shows a home made tool using a bolt and a socket to put the pulley back on it looks easy if I can just find the right size bolt.

Thanks
Kevin ](*,)
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Re: install P/S pulley

Post by GnarliSafari »

i just recently replaced my p/s pump, i do not know what size the bolt is as it came with the pulley, but i do know its a pain in the rear and i would strongly suggest finding yourself that tool.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

I only know metric sizes, and the bolt that you need is american standard size. Look in the shaft hole with a mirror to see if it is a fine or coarse thread and the rough diameter, then cruise down to your local hardwear store and buy a selection.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Topic author
Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

Well I went into the local homeDepot and got a bunch of bolts that were all the wrong size somehow. So I went to the Napa and got them to pull out a new pump so that I could test what size bolt it is. Seems the new pumps come with a install bolt and washer. I found out that a exhaust 3/8 stud fits so I am using that and a stack of metal plates to push it on. Seems to be going well I am almost done exept that I can no longer hold the pulley by hand so Bikehauler is on his way over with a big strap wrench to help hold things still.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

Jinmajay
I sleep in my van

Post by Jinmajay »

Harbor Freight

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=66412

this works very good for being from overseas. I have one. \:D/
The Tran man http://jayjensen.shutterfly.com/action/

1994 AWD GMC Safari, V8 truck van project
1998 2WD Astro
1999 AWD Astro

Jinmajay
I sleep in my van

Post by Jinmajay »

Power Steering Pump Puller Kit
Use with Ford, GM, and Chrysler vehicles with Saginaw power steering pumps.

Fits 1-1/8", 1-1/4", 1-5/16", and 1-3/8" pulley hub diameters including 1988 to current GM cars equipped with Quad 4 engines; 1991 to current GM mini vans with 3.1 L and 2800 V6 engines; and 1991 to current Ford 4.6 L engines with metric shaft
Includes spacer for power steering pump pulley installation on Chrysler Cirrus, Dodge Stratus, and Plymouth Breeze Jaw opening: 7/8" minimum, 1-3/16" maximum Installer body:11/16"; Jackscrew (GM, Ford, VW and Chrysler): 5/8"; Puller body: 13/16"; Installer Screw (GM):9/16"; Installer Screw (Ford): 9/16"
Weight: 2.2 lbs.

ITEM 66412-0VGA

$19.99
The Tran man http://jayjensen.shutterfly.com/action/

1994 AWD GMC Safari, V8 truck van project
1998 2WD Astro
1999 AWD Astro