Replacing 97 Astro Power Steering pump

ANYTHING TO DO WITH STEERING, FROM STOCK TO RACK AND PINION UPGRADES

Topic author
astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Replacing 97 Astro Power Steering pump

Post by astrozam »

This information was originally posted by rnhedahl ( A.S community member ) Replacing 97 Astro Power Steering Pump

1. Remove air cleaner
2. Remove upper shroud
3. Remove clutch fan
4. Remove serpentine belt
5. Remove lower shroud
6. Remove left front wheel
7. Pull back fender well panel so you can see the manifold and top of shock
8. Remove rear PS bracket attachment using 15mm long socket and 2

Edit: I didn't realize until after I had transferred this post over that it was missing some final steps, if anyone can let me know what steps are missing, I could add them to this post, thanks. zam

Topic author
astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

bump??

Matrixx
I am smitten with my van

Post by Matrixx »

I would sooner take a bullet than to go through that again (Replacing P/S Pump). That's a brutal job (It was for me anyways) Must have been an easier way which I over looked, almost 4 hours from start to finish, the hardest part was putting the pulley back on the new pump, the "Anemic" pulley installer that came with the New Pump bent on it's first try, I had to fabricate my own installer to finish the job. Hopefully that was the last time. It's not for the Faint of Heart I can tell you that much,hehe. But it is do able for sure .

Matrixx
I am smitten with my van

Post by Matrixx »

Hi Zam
Hopefully this will finish up the above procedure you asked about. You can edit it if you feel it needs to be.

9. Remove the pulley with a power steering pump puller tool.
10. Disconnect and cap pressure and return lines from the pump. Have a suitable catch pan under the pump.
11. Remove pump attaching bolts, then the pump.
12. Reverse procedure to install. Note: (Use the power steering pump pulley installing tool, it's different from the puller tool). Tighten mounting bolts, rear brace to stub nut and brace to pump nut to specifications. (30 Ft. Lbs. for each).
96 Safari-500,000 Kilometers-92 Octane (Chevron)-Original Motor-Transmission-Cat-EGR-Starter-O2 Sensors Except 1-AirCared-Synthetic Blend in Engine and Transmission (Castrol Syntec for both) 3.73 Limited Slip rear end (Full Synthetic/Royal Purple 75/90w)-Michelin Latitudes (P215/75-15)&Munro Sensa-Trac shocks.

Rufus
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by Rufus »

13. Top system off with fluid.
14. Bleed system of air by turning streering wheel full lock to lock about 20 times slowly.
97 Astro LS Passenger Van, 4.3L (newly rebuilt)
New Orleans, LA

Matrixx
I am smitten with my van

Post by Matrixx »

Hi Rufus
Thanks for the follow up, that should pretty well cover it.
96 Safari-500,000 Kilometers-92 Octane (Chevron)-Original Motor-Transmission-Cat-EGR-Starter-O2 Sensors Except 1-AirCared-Synthetic Blend in Engine and Transmission (Castrol Syntec for both) 3.73 Limited Slip rear end (Full Synthetic/Royal Purple 75/90w)-Michelin Latitudes (P215/75-15)&Munro Sensa-Trac shocks.

2002Safari
I am smitten with my van

Re: Replacing 97 Astro Power Steering pump

Post by 2002Safari »

I am rnhedahl. I sold the 97 Astro and now have a 2002 Safari. Here's my original post:

Replacing 97 Astro Power Steering Pump

1. Remove air cleaner
2. Remove upper shroud
3. Remove clutch fan (Reverse thread)
4. Remove serpentine belt
5. Remove lower shroud
6. Remove left front wheel
7. Pull back fender well panel so you can see the manifold and top of shock
8. Remove rear PS bracket attachment using 15mm long socket and 2’ extension setup passing socket in the bottom A frame area.
9. Use puller to remove pulley from PS
10. Remove 3 15mm bolts that hold PS to front PS mount
11. Remove bottom PS high pressure hose with 16mm wrench.
12. Remove lower return hose from steering box that has clamp on pump.
13. Remove upper hose that goes to reservoir
14. Remove pump.

The process is really fairly simple once you get past the “I can’t even see the pump” stage. Make sure you have a good puller for removing the PS pulley. I bought a Performance Tool GM Power Steering Pump Pulley Remover/Installer. The puller worked OK (poor quality) but I broke the installer. Lucky the pump came with an installer which consisted of a bolt, washer and nut.

My van is an AWD leaving less working room than probably the RWD units.

I bought my PS pump at Autozone for around $42 USD plus $11 core. They will loan a puller with an upfront charge of $44 which will be returned when you return the puller within 2 days.

This Autozone URL may be of some help:
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/09 ... oPages.htm
Last edited by 2002Safari on Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
2002 Safari SLT

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

Please note the fan is reverse threaded. I didn't know that when I replaced the pump on my 2000. Working through the fan just makes the job so much harder. ](*,)
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

will be starting on mine tomorrow, thought I'ld get a head start by removing air filter and shroud today, would have worked on it last week, but too wet and cold.... sun came back yesterday afternoon, it's starting to feel better out there.... nearly 50, havn't seen that in a week
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

had some jobs this week, and wife's vehicle was available, so, just used the portable (electric) carpet cleaning machine all week, and only got as far as step 2..... luckily not on the clock here.
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

mtrhead79
I get chills without my van.

Post by mtrhead79 »

i made my own pulley installer i used 3/8 all thread and a couple big washers and 3/8 nut worked great if you put a used pump on run a 3/8 tap in the snout to clean out the grime and rust.
john 79 camaro, 01 safari, 00 astro , 94 caprice wagon lt1, 89 safari gt

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

finally finished changing hydraboost and power steering pump... hope I never have to do that again. my big hands are not meant for such a small area.... luckily had help and supervision...

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

mtrhead79 wrote:i made my own pulley installer i used 3/8 all thread and a couple big washers and 3/8 nut worked great if you put a used pump on run a 3/8 tap in the snout to clean out the grime and rust.
my help, borrowed a puller/installer from a mechanic friend. or I was just going to go get one from Murrays, (O'Reillys_)

baytonemus
I am smitten with my van

Post by baytonemus »

2002Safari wrote:3. Remove clutch fan (Reverse thread)
Are you guys talking about the big nut on the back of the fan (?), because mine's not reverse threaded.
2000 Safari AWD 4.3L

risteff
I get chills without my van.

Post by risteff »

Just to FYI you guys...My 2000 Safari is also not reverse thread. My service manual says it should be stated on the belt routing label on the core support if it is left hand (reverse) thread.
Past vans: 1990 2WD SLE Safari, 1990 AWD SLE Safari, and 2000 AWD Safari SLE. Current, 2004 Astro AWD LS.