Replacing 97 Astro Power Steering pump

ANYTHING TO DO WITH STEERING, FROM STOCK TO RACK AND PINION UPGRADES

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Replacing 97 Astro Power Steering pump

Post by Rileysowner »

So it is necessary to remove the whole bracket on a 97, or can one remove the pulley while the pump is attached so they can just remove the pump thus avoiding several steps listed here?
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

I finally found some time to start pulling stuff apart. Got the upper shroud off, that was a pain as a couple of the nuts or whatever the bolts go into, were rusted, one to the point I needed to put a vice grip on it to keep it from spinning. Now that I can see things better, I see there is fluid which I think is from the PS system down there, but it is hard to tell I am cleaning up things to get a better look. Good thing I don't need the van for anything at the moment. I am debating changing out the hoses for the PS as well, especially if I can't trace down a specific spot for a leak. I am also struggling to get the fan off. All that seems to happen is I am turning everything when trying to get the nut loose.
Jim

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

it is necessary to remove the pullly.
you will need it for the new pump.
Then you can pull the pump out.
You might need a special puller to get it off.
it should be easier to pull if its attached to the brackets still.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

I knew I needed to remove the pulley, but what a read here they were removing the PS mount bracket then removing the PS pump from it. Looking at the space I have, especially when I get the fan out of the way, it looks like I can get the pulley off while the PS pump is still attached to the bracket, thus allowing access to the mounting bolts behind the pulley. Now to get the tool to pull the pulley off.
Jim

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

I just ran into the thing that has frustrated me more times than I wish to count. After giving up getting the clutch fan off, I was going to remove the high pressure hose from the PS pump. I need a 16mm wrench. In all the wrenches I have, I do not have one 16mm wrench. I have 15mm and 17mm and a whole host of other ones, but not one 16mm. I tried an adjustable wrench, but it can't seem to get a good enough grip on the fitting which is really stuck.

Would some heat be able to help brake it loose?
Jim

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Rileysowner wrote:I just ran into the thing that has frustrated me more times than I wish to count. After giving up getting the clutch fan off, I was going to remove the high pressure hose from the PS pump. I need a 16mm wrench. In all the wrenches I have, I do not have one 16mm wrench. I have 15mm and 17mm and a whole host of other ones, but not one 16mm. I tried an adjustable wrench, but it can't seem to get a good enough grip on the fitting which is really stuck. Would some heat be able to help brake it loose?
Isnt 16mm a really close fit to 5/8" ?
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

doyoulikeithere wrote:
Rileysowner wrote:I just ran into the thing that has frustrated me more times than I wish to count. After giving up getting the clutch fan off, I was going to remove the high pressure hose from the PS pump. I need a 16mm wrench. In all the wrenches I have, I do not have one 16mm wrench. I have 15mm and 17mm and a whole host of other ones, but not one 16mm. I tried an adjustable wrench, but it can't seem to get a good enough grip on the fitting which is really stuck. Would some heat be able to help brake it loose?
Isnt 16mm a really close fit to 5/8" ?

I didn't realize that. I do have a 5/8" flare nut wrench, but even with that I can't get the fitting to budge. I has been repeatedly soaked in PB Blaster so I am running out of options. Suggestions?
Jim

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

I am pretty much at the point of giving up on getting the high pressure hose off the pump without cutting the pipe so I can put a socket on it. Right now it seems all I have achieved is to start to round off the edges of it. Even soaking it repeatedly in PB Blaster doesn't seem to make any difference. I guess it is time to get a new high pressure hose.
Jim

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Got the pump out, but it slipped out of my hand when putting it down and the plug for the EVO shattered. This is very frustrating. I should have followed my instincts and called out my son or wife to hold it once it was out. Now I am likely on the hook for a whole pump including EVO since I can't find anywhere to order one. Any suggestions?
Jim

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

At last I have the time and the parts to get to this job. I have the pump in for the most part. I have to replace the high pressure line to the hydroboost, then refilling and bleeding and all the rest. Hopefully this works since I ended up getting a pump from a wrecker as the place I ordered a pump with reservoir and evo contacted me almost a week after I placed the order saying they could not get the part. I still have a pump without the reservoir and if this one does not work I guess I will swap that in. Hopefully it will work as I need the van to move the trailer.
Jim

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

My PS pump was leaking and the EVO (97 & 98 only) was acting up so I decided to put in a new pump. I'll have to admit that after looking at the job, for the first time EVER, I got a quote from the dealer to work on my van. $300 labor.

Ok, so I decided to do it myself, glad I did as it really wasn't that big of a deal.

Following the instructions here and it went smoothly with the exception of putting the pulley back on; that was APITA.

unplug mas/vas
loosen the intake clamp from the intake and remove intake box
remove upper fan shroud
remove fan (see water pump replacement) my fan IS NOT reverse threads
remove lower shroud
remove AC bolts and tie pump up an inch or two
remove 3 bolts and a nut from the face of the pump bracket
remove the infamous "hang bracket" nut. This nut is behind the PS pump on a stud that points down @ 45° of horizontal toward the driverside front wheel. This can barely be seen and is perhaps easier removed from the fender well, but I found it not so difficult and didn't have to remove the front tire. It will require a 14mm deepwell socket. The nut does NOT need to be removed, as the bracket is slotted
This is the nut you will be looking for (the pump is removed in the photo)
_MG_2723.jpg
This is what the back of the pump and bracket look like
_MG_2721.jpg
Pull the pump and bracket forward and remove the the tank line, return line and high pressure line. You may have an electrical connection too.
Take the entire assembly to the work bench and use the Pulley puller that you "rented" from the local AP store and remove the pulley

And that's pretty much it, took about an hour and a half.
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Bret Schmerker
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Bret Schmerker »

:bounce: When the shaft broke on my stock pump after 217,xxx miles, I was able to pull the pulley right off, once the serpentine belt was off (I jackstanded the front end of the M11006 for clearance for myself, the tools I needed, and a large drain pan for the old fluid first). Separating the pulley from the broken shaft was the main issue; in retrospect -- #-o -- I should've done a hone job on the pulley itself -- much too tight an interference fit on both the old pump's shaft stub and the replacement's shaft, as I couldn't draw the pulley all the way onto the new pump even with an SAE Grade 5 carriage bolt (of correct diameter and TPI for the shaft) for a wrench point plus matching nut and washers.
1997 GMC M11006 (Safari SLE, 2WD, V6-4300/4L60-E/7.625" 3.73:1 open)
Acquired Jul 2018 / In service Sep 2018 - Nov 2022 / down due leaky valve(s) #5 cyl.