2003 AWD left front wheel bearing stuck in knuckle

ANYTHING TO DO WITH STEERING, FROM STOCK TO RACK AND PINION UPGRADES

Topic author
RINNY
I get chills without my van.

2003 AWD left front wheel bearing stuck in knuckle

Post by RINNY »

OK I have the knuckle off the van and the wheel bearing will not budge. Hit it PB Blaster, no luck, then with a lil heat and an 8 pound sledge and it will not move. Any suggestions?

chesehd

Re: 2003 AWD left front wheel bearing stuck in knuckle

Post by chesehd »

A friend of mine made a "bearing buster" that hooked over the side of the bearing. We hit the arm with me standing on the edge and that didn't help at all.

The solution we used was to take a 20 ton bottle jack, place a board under the jack, wrap a chain over the top of the casting and under the board. Top of the jack was against the bearing so when we used the jack it was squeezed between the bearing and board. Once the chain was tight we hit the bearing from the inside with an air chisel until it popped loose.

Warning: that kind of pressure on a chain may stretch it at the least and snap it at the worst. Be darned sure and careful of what you do! This option was employed after literally six others failed.

I tried using a porto-press with an expanding clamshell also. If you have the bearing started on the removal that may be a better option.
Ken

2003 AWD
Back in the saddle on a new horse!

A lot of money is tainted: 'Taint yours, and 'taint mine.

Topic author
RINNY

Re: 2003 AWD left front wheel bearing stuck in knuckle

Post by RINNY »

I ended up cutting 6 4x4 blocks, screwed them togeather 2 a piece. Then I laged the knuckle to the 4x4 thru 2 ears on the knuckle. PB blaster the snot out of it, and got a 3/4 drive socket big enough to sit on the bearing lip. 10 pound sledge and it broke free after the second full out over head swing. was pretty proud of myself untill I screwed up the drivers side front transfer case axel cover trying to get that seal out later in the day. used a socket that was to big and messed the race up, oh well only 26 bucks if I can find one. kinda wanted a new one anyway cause I didnt like the looks of the seal\, it was flatened out at the top. Comes attached to the cover. The lower ball joint was fun too!! Putting in 2 fremaned front axels also. Passinger side is done, that bearing seemed good.