Slop Correction

ANYTHING TO DO WITH STEERING, FROM STOCK TO RACK AND PINION UPGRADES

Topic author
Slobalt7
I am merely driving my van

Slop Correction

Post by Slobalt7 »

Pretty much the whole front steering and suspension is shot on my 96 Astro 2wd cargo. I just recently bought this van and can turn the wheel 1/8 rotation before it seems to affect the wheels. I know alignment is out and every ball joint under there looks like poop, also when one side is jacked up I can turn the lifted wheel about 20-30* without the other wheel moving. Would this kit help as much as I expect? I know I need new BJs and wheel bearings too. Any and all help is appreciated!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Astro-Safari-RW ... 85&vxp=mtr
Call me Travis

87 Astro
88 RX7
89 S15
06 Cobalt

AstroWill
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Slop Correction

Post by AstroWill »

Might source better parts on your own. Just have to get under there and see where the actual play is happening, that is the only way to know for sure.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

It's 19 years old. If it has been neglected then pretty much everything under there is worn out. If you have the time and money you will be ahead of the game to replace everything in the steering and suspension. The ebay listing doesn't say who the manufacturer of the parts is. They could very well be Chinese junk. If you can't get the parts locally order them from http://www.rockauto.com/. Specify Moog brand only.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Smiliesafari wrote: Specify Moog brand only.
Ditto... when it comes to the suspension/steering in these vans, take Smilie's advice

Also..... check out this thread viewtopic.php?f=66&t=1437&p=12883&hilit ... ing#p12883

Topic author
Slobalt7

Post by Slobalt7 »

Yeah, it was in pretty bad off. Already replaced 3 tires, rear shoes and brake cylinders, and outer tie rod ends. I know all about Moog, I used them in my S10 and my Cobalt. I am on a tight budget for the next couple months due to medical bills and I need it for work(about 45 miles round trip 5-6 days a week). I would be doing it myself on my day off. I'll price the parts locally and get back to you guys.
I read through that thread, I think it would help but I haven't had time to try it out.
Thanks for all the help fellas!
Call me Travis

87 Astro
88 RX7
89 S15
06 Cobalt

Topic author
Slobalt7

Post by Slobalt7 »

Update, seems issues are in the pittman and idler arms which I can get for about $20 each with a lifetime warranty. Those will be bought as soon as Saturday rolls around along with inner tie rod ends(might as well, they look like poo but seem to not have play). Next Saturday will be upper and lower BJ's and alignment. After all that and steering box adjustment I should be ok.
Call me Travis

87 Astro
88 RX7
89 S15
06 Cobalt