new rotors = shorter lugs yikes?

FROM STOCK TO WILD, BRAKE ISSUES AND UPGRADES GO HERE.

Topic author
photo_van
I sleep in my van

new rotors = shorter lugs yikes?

Post by photo_van »

So I'm doing a brake job on the 98. I decided to get some nice Raybestos full cast rotors to replace the composite OEM. Because the OEM is composite with a sheet metal hub, the stud flange is considerably thinner; 2/10ths thinner.

With the new rotors, the studs are now effectively 2/10ths shorter, so thread contact on the lug nuts has gone from a bit under 3/4" to ~ 1/2". I don't like the looks of it. Is this something to worry about or am I being paranoid?

Since I ordered them online it's not like I can just "take them back".
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Re: new rotors = shorter lugs yikes?

Post by Kidhauler »

You could get longer wheel studs and have them pressed in. They are normally cheap and readily available at any parts store.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

Topic author
photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

Thanks, I was thinking about that. It looked like I might have to remove the hubs to do that. I can get eight full turns of threads, I guess it will do for now....
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

I just wouldn't off road it very much that doesn't sound line it's very secure. Good luck with it.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

If you can tap the lugs out with a hammer through the hub, you can press in the new lugs with a wheel nut on backwards. Use some grease or oil so it spins easy and it'll pull the stud right in. Should be able to do it on the van if there is clearance.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

I noticed on mine that one side always seemed longer than on the other side, but not sure which. It really won't make a bit of difference as long as all of the threads are used in the nut. Most closed ended lug nuts are not threaded very deep and the open enders are not usually very deep either. If you see exposed thread in the lug nut after torquing it down then yeah, not as good but not the end of the world either.
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla

Topic author
photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

Thanks Cargo. That is what I was/am worried about; there are quite a few threads exposed inside the nut. I just returned from a 3500 mile road trip and the wheels didn't fall off.... 8-[
1998 AWD/4WD
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710