I have search the threads with no luck help please

FROM STOCK TO WILD, BRAKE ISSUES AND UPGRADES GO HERE.

Topic author
jaysan
I am merely driving my van

I have search the threads with no luck help please

Post by jaysan »

My abs and e brake light is on . I got the car scanned here are my codes C0265 ,C0245 ,C0241,C 0251 , and C0246 . The only thing my search brought up was a ebcm . My fuses are good . What should I do ?

Car 2002 gmc safari 2wd V6

Drummernaut
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: I have search the threads with no luck help please

Post by Drummernaut »

Here it goes, not sure how much more help this will be but maybe it will shake some memories:

DTC C0241-C0254

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The EBCM microprocessor will ground the indicated solenoid coil (RF dump/isolation, LF dump/isolation, or Rear dump/isolation) circuit to energize the solenoid coil whenever the solenoid valve is needed. Refer to ABS Braking Mode in ABS Operation. The magnetic force created by the solenoid coil will close the isolation valve.

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC
Open Circuit

The ABS bulb check is complete
Low voltage exists on the EBCM solenoid driver circuit when high voltage is expected (the solenoid is not energized)

Shorted Circuit

High voltage is present on the EBCM solenoid driver circuit when the voltage is expected to be low (solenoid energized).

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS

The ABS indicator lamp turns on
The ABS disables

DTCs C0241-C0254 are Ignition Latched DTCs, which indicates the above actions remain true until the ignition is turned to OFF (even if the cause of the DTC is intermittent).

DTCs C0241-C0254 are DRP critical malfunctions (except for C0243/C0244 and C0247/C0248), which means that DRIP is disabled and the BRAKE indicator lamp will also light. DTCs C0243/C0244 and C0247/C0248 are DRIP non-critical malfunctions. If any other DTC sets before this DTC is investigated and cleared, this will become a DRIP critical malfunction.

CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE DTC

Repair the conditions responsible for setting the DTC
Use the Scan Tool Clear DTCs function

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS
This DTC usually sets because of an open/shorted solenoid coil within the EHCU. The solenoid coil is located within the EBCM and is not serviceable. If the test does not repair the DTC, then replace the EBCM.

If this DTC sets with other DTCs, check for the following conditions:

A poor EBCM power or signal ground
A poor EBCM power or ignition feed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DTC C0265/C0266

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The pump motor relay supplies power to all six solenoid coils (three isolation solenoid coils and three dump solenoid coils) and the motor when the ABS is required. The relay and the six solenoid coils are located within the Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) .

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC (DTC C0265)

The EBCM microprocessor commands the relay on
Low voltage exists on all six solenoid driver circuits when high voltage is expected (the solenoid is not energized)

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC (DTC C0266)

High voltage exists on the pump motor driver circuit when all are expected to be low (the relay is not commanded on)

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS

The ABS indicator lamp turns on
The ABS disables

DTCs C0265 and C0266 are Ignition Latched DTCs, which indicates that the above actions remain true until the ignition is turned to OFF (even if the cause of the DTC is intermittent).

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS (DTC C0265)
DTC C0265 usually sets because of an open relay coil or non-closable relay contacts. The relay is located within the EBCM. The relay is not serviceable. If the test does not repair the DTC, then replace the EBCM."

IMPORTANT!!!!!!

If DTC C0265 appears with other DTC's, repair the other DTC's first. Clear all DTC's.

Topic author
jaysan

Post by jaysan »

Kind so can I just buy.these parts and install.it? Or should I kill it with fire ?

Drummernaut

Post by Drummernaut »

I would check power and ground to the EBCM.

Topic author
jaysan

Post by jaysan »

Ok and where is my ebcm ?

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

It is located on the side of the frame rail directly under the drivers feet. Just look for where all the brake lines go to/come from.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
jaysan

Post by jaysan »

I looked at it and everything looks good . I didn't see loose harness or anything . Is there anything I could do to turn off the lights ? How do I remove the gauge cluster ?

Topic author
jaysan

Post by jaysan »

Can I Buy an ebcm from a junk yard ? Install it and keep on going down the road ?

Topic author
jaysan

Post by jaysan »

Is there a fuse I can pull to turn off the lights ? I just need them off to pass inspection

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

There is anABS fuse under the hood you can pull. You might also need to unplug the EBCM to get the light to shut off. Unplug the connector with 2 large wires in it. The e-brake light...make sure the e-brake lever is released all the way.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
jaysan

Post by jaysan »

Ok I disconnected the ebcm ( I think ) and the harness.that goes to the passenger front.wheel hub . The e brake light turned off but the abs light is still on . Any suggestions guys ?

Drummernaut

Post by Drummernaut »

It sounds like you disconnected C2 for the wheel sensors. You will need to disconnect C1(4) on the diagram. It carries the ground that is turning on the ABS lamp. At least for my 99. I am "ass"u"me"ing that they are them same.
Attachments
IMG_0154.jpg

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

The Kelsey Hayes 325 EBCM is known to fail due to solder connections on the circuit board failing. If you buy a used module, you risk the same thing. Options are to remove EBCM and have repaired or open the module and re-solder yourself. I had mine repaired for $70 and the shop told me that an EBCM in this condition can and will set codes for other faults like wheel speed sensors so I would consider repairing EBCM before going on chase for all the other codes that may just be a result of faulty EBCM.

Shop that repaired mine: http://www.atlantaspeedometerservices.com/GM.html

There are YouTube videos on how to resolder EBCM.

Here is the info I posted on another forum:
Came across this in understanding why when ABS / brake lights engaged braking performance deteriorates due to Dynamic Rear Proportioning (DRP) being disabled.

ABS Indicator
The IPC illuminates the ABS indicator when the following occurs:
The Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) detects an ABS-disabling malfunction. The IPC receives a class 2 message from the EBCM requesting illumination.
The IPC performs the bulb check.
The IPC detects a loss of class 2 communications with the EBCM.

Brake Warning Indicator
The Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) illuminates the brake warning indicator when the following occurs:
The Body Control Module (BCM) detects that the park brake is engaged. The IPC receives a class 2 message from the BCM requesting illumination.
The EBCM detects a low brake fluid condition and sends a class 2 message to the IPC.
The IPC performs the bulb check.
An ABS-disabling malfunction also disables dynamic rear proportioning (DRP).

Dynamic Rear Proportioning (DRP)
The dynamic rear proportioning (DRP) is a control system that replaces the hydraulic proportioning function of the mechanical proportioning valve in the base brake system.
The DRP control system is part of the operation software in the EBCM. The DRP uses active control with existing ABS in order to regulate the vehicle's rear brake pressure.
The red brake warning indicator is illuminated when the dynamic rear proportioning function is disabled.

I spoke with a local shop and they can repair EBCM for $70 with 1 year warranty and 1 day turnaround so first I'm going to test the ABS pump motor via these instructions from ModuleMaster.com http://www.modulemaster.com/en/wizard/k ... causes.php and proceed from there.

ABS Wizard
Kelsey Hayes 325

If both the ABS and brake light come on while driving, please check the following:

1) Make sure the 50A ABS fuse is good. It is located in the fuse box under the hood.

2) If you live in a snowbelt state, or where de-icing material is used on roads, your ABS pump motor could have corroded wires, especially if both lights come on after hitting a bump. First visually inspect the connection. The pump motor is located on the ABS hydraulic unit.

3) If corrosion appears on the pump wires, unplug the connector, and using a multimeter, measure the resistance of the motor. You should read low resistance (1-5 ohms). If the reistance is infinite (indicating an open circuit), the pump wires will need to be replaced.

If you are skilled with electrical repairs, you will need to open the motor and solder new wires to the brush holders and replace the connector. ModuleMaster can also repair your pump motor for you. Please call for price.

In cases where there is significant corrosion, the pump motor could be seized up (frozen). To test if the motor still runs, connect 12 volts directly to the motor connector using a pair of clip leads.

EBCM Removal

http://www.modulemaster.com/en/Chevy/Ch ... k_info.php

http://www.modulemaster.com/en/abs/kh_325_removal.php

Removal Procedure
On most Chevy trucks, the ABS module is mounted to the left frame rail under the driver's seat.

Note: We can only rebuild the Kelsey Hayes 325 module (see photo far right). The Series 30 is similar, but has a third connector as shown. Both the Series 30 and 310 are unrepairable and must be replaced.

1) Make sure the ignition is off when you disconnect the module or it could be permanently damaged.

2) Remove the connector(s) from the module.

3) Remove the screws that hold the module to the hydraulic control unit.

4) Cover the exposed surface of the hydraulic unit with aluminum foil.

5) You can still drive your vehicle since the brakes will not be impaired by removal of the ABS module. On certain vehicles, the speedometer receives an input signal from the ABS module and may not function until the module is back in place.
Can test the front wheel speed sensors at the connectors while spinning the wheel (180-250 millivolts) and resistance (600-2400 ohms).

I tested the ABS motor and is within spec for resistance (1-5 ohms), runs when directly supplied with 12 volts and has 12 volts to connector with fuse intstalled. So I removed the EBCM (Kelsey Hayes 325) and dropped off for repair, should have it back tomorrow afternoon.

Here's a picture of the abs pump with EBCM removed from the assembly. Wasn't too difficult, removed ABS fuse and two nuts for the shield, the T20 torx screws were tough to access but came out with relative ease. You can see the connector on the motor which attaches to the EBCM and supplies power to the motor. I covered everything with foil to keep things clean until I get the EBCM installed.

Just wanted to update that the the ebcm repair service fixed my problems - no more abs / brake lights and system functions as it should. Repair cost $70 with warranty and quick one day turnaround from http://www.atlantaspeedometerservices.com/Services.html.
2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander