95 van brake light on & hard to bleed rear lines

FROM STOCK TO WILD, BRAKE ISSUES AND UPGRADES GO HERE.

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

95 van brake light on & hard to bleed rear lines

Post by skippy »

95 astro rwd hydroboost with ABS . bought the van & brake light is on & can't seem to bleed the rear wheel cylinders after replacing the brakes & WC . i get drips of fluid out of the bleeders & the brakes seem to be working but theres no pressure when bleeding them . pump & hold method of bleeding . it has something to do with the proportion valve cuz i get pressure from the master to the valve on both lines .... but no pressure out of the valve on the 2 lines going to the abs unit .
i've heard about pulling the pin out on a proportion valve but don't have any idea where or how ..... could somebody give me a quick tutorial ???? or any suggestions on bleeding this system correctly ? i don't have any access to a pressure bleeder .... so thats out . could i just gravity bleed them ??? would that work or would they still have to be pumped up ?
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: 95 van brake light on & hard to bleed rear lines

Post by 1Gary »

Hey Dan.How you been??. Yes,you certainly could try to gravity bleed them.

Just a thought. Did you did check to see if the hydro system is full??.

You know the rear brake lines go over the gas tank and rot out there.They leak there where you can't see it.That happened on my 94LT. It leaked,but not bad enough for a total failure. Couldn't built pressure to completely apply the brakes. Had a small pin hole/split in it. Kind of ticked me off so I ran the line directly to the back through the lower gas tank stud straps so I could then see it.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Yeah gary ... no bad lines . i've run into that many times . my problem is in the proportion valve . i can get pressure in the lines to it , but no pressure from the lines out to the abs . i'm thinking i'll just replace it , but i know theres some trick with the pin in the valve ... just not sure how & don't want to make matters worse .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Hey Dan! I remember quite a while ago, Lockdoc had posted up some info on the pin and bleeding. It was probably 3 or 4 years ago now. Try searching the older threads for it.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

I have been Dean , but i can't find any details on it , he just says on a couple threads that the pin has to be pulled out . i don't know if he means completely out & put the cap back on or what . don't want to mess with it unless i know exactly what to do .
was kinda hoping him or smilesafari would chime in cuz they both have mentioned pulling the pin out . i've been doing a ton of online research & nobody mentions that method . they all say to gravity or pressure bleed . i'm gonna buy a new valve & try the gravity feed i guess if nobody can help with this .

thanx Dean :)

i'll throw up a couple pics of the new to me 95 astro . its almost the same as the old one except its a high top conversion . its only got 92K on it :)

DAILY THOUGHT:

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Nice! Can't wait to see pics.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

The pin only comes out about 1/8 inch and has to be held out until the system is bled. It's spring loaded and will return to it's normal position when you let go.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

your talking about the gold pin under the cap at the rear of the proportioning valve correct ??? won't fluid leak while that cap is off ? or am i missing something ?

thanx for popping in Smilie ... i was hoping you or bill would help me :)

this is the PV i'm talking about & the cap that i remove is at the back by the bracket . i had this cap off & seen the pin , was able to move it in& out ... didn't feel like it was spring loaded but the main thing is ... it was leaking fluid while i had the cap off & i put it back on so as to not lose anymore fluid & make matters worse .

DAILY THOUGHT:

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

It should not leak. Sounds like it needs to be replaced.

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Was going to replace it anyways cuz the center pin for the light seems to be stuck too & tapping on the housing hasn't released it . so yeah i'm stopping at the stealership tomorrow to grab one cuz the local shops don't carry it & i have to go right by 2 chevy dealers anyways .
might as well flush & refill all the lines while i'm at it .

thank you everybody for the info !!!! after i get it all done i'll let ya know how i made out & i'll get some pics for ya dean . :)

thanx again

DAILY THOUGHT:

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

one more question guys if ya don't mind . what size clear hose do i need to slip over the bleeder nipple ? 1/4" ????
i tried to find the info here again but thats a ton of reading .

Thanx :)

DAILY THOUGHT:

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

I've never actually measured it but that sounds about right. I've also seen different size bleeder nipples so I have a couple different sizes of hoses.

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

stealership wanted 186$ #-o

so i got one from Carolina classic trucks online for 88$ shipped to the house in 3 days !!! :D
ordered it friday & it came today ... :D

DAILY THOUGHT:

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Here ya go Dean ..... had Debby take a few pics of the van yesterday while we were up at Lake George , so they're not as detailed as they should be , but it gives ya an idea as to what she looks like .

DAILY THOUGHT:

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Dan.Nice van.

But you look great.Congrads Dan.Keep it coming. =D> =D> =D> :prayer: :prayer:
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY