Rear Brake line blew out last night, van stranded

FROM STOCK TO WILD, BRAKE ISSUES AND UPGRADES GO HERE.

Topic author
afsigma21
I finally get the smurf thing

Rear Brake line blew out last night, van stranded

Post by afsigma21 »

I was driving home last night and lost 80% of my braking power suddeny!!!! :(

Pulled over in to a parking lot and looked under the van and see brake fluid dripping down by the gas tank. Clearly the brake line from front to back has broken somehow. it was close to dark so I was not really able to go under the car and see anything.

I am just trying to get an idea of what I am getting into, never really done brake LINES before.

Can I remove a small section and replace it? Do I have to run a whole new line front to back? Just trying to get an idea of what I am in for.

This is a make or brake repair, no pun intended. Wife wants the van towed to the junkyard, I am not ready to do that.

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Rear Brake line blew out last night, van stranded

Post by WoodButcher »

It isn't difficult. You'll want flare nut wrenches to assemble but to remove is easy. You need to replace the line from the "T" at the rear end to the control box under the drivers side bolted to the frame. I cut the lines and used sockets to get mine out then brought the fittings with me to the auto parts to match together with new. I think it may have cost 25 or 30 bux but it is not a reason to scrap the van.
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)