The Lt's front brake conversion

FROM STOCK TO WILD, BRAKE ISSUES AND UPGRADES GO HERE.

Topic author
1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: The Lt's front brake conversion

Post by 1Gary »

LaGrasta wrote:Do I understand this correctly, AWD has larger pads than non-AWDs? So for my '99 non-AWD, this would be a noticable upgrade, correct?
If I where you,I would go into your local parts store and have them pull the pads for both.(non-Astro 2500 series truck and Astro stock pads.)Clearly you will see if the truck pads are bigger.From what I am getting here is the AWD ones are the same size and the RWD ones are bigger. The ones for my 1994 LT are smaller and the truck pads are bigger,but I honestly don't know about you yr van.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

i am AWD and my stock pads were a Eurorotor F1D369 they don't seem smaller then the 3500 series i used but on side by side comparison the pad surface area is larger the pad i have on now are a F1D845. i just went and compared the wagner MX369 and MX845 the look almost the same but again the actually pad material has a larger surface area. like other AWD people have said in this thread when you first put them on you'll have a huge smile on your face but you get used to them and they wear down i feel they are an improvement but not a huge one. that's my 2 cents at least
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

I am 2wd, and my brake pad upgrade was from stock size Astro (riveted pads) to the 3/4 ton pick-up pads (non-riveted pads) you can certainly see the 20% size increase. Never use these CHEAP riveted pads on your van, because when they get low the lining brakes off in chunks between the rivets, and they will go metal to metal real quick. I also Highly recommend not to use the Advance Auto Duralast Gold pads, as they squeak and fade.

At the same time I also swapped over to hydro-boost, and used everything from a `94 (last of the old-style) onto my `86, plus an 11inch rear brake set-up (`92 Caprice cop-car), and my 300hp Astro stops on a dime even when towing 1500lbs on an un-braked trailer (sandrail + gas and camping equipment).

Maybe in the future I may fit the larger calipers.

`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

SoCalli V8 wrote:I am 2wd, and my brake pad upgrade was from stock size Astro (riveted pads) to the 3/4 ton pick-up pads (non-riveted pads) you can certainly see the 20% size increase. Never use these CHEAP riveted pads on your van, because when they get low the lining brakes off in chunks between the rivets, and they will go metal to metal real quick. I also Highly recommend not to use the Advance Auto Duralast Gold pads, as they squeak and fade.

At the same time I also swapped over to hydro-boost, and used everything from a `94 (last of the old-style) onto my `86, plus an 11inch rear brake set-up (`92 Caprice cop-car), and my 300hp Astro stops on a dime even when towing 1500lbs on an un-braked trailer (sandrail + gas and camping equipment).

Maybe in the future I may fit the larger calipers.

Nice Post!!! =D>

Topic author
1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Well I called the local Chevy dealer assuming the rotted off dust shields for my 1994 LT RWD van that bolt to the spindles was going to be kind of cheap to buy.NOT!!!!.$56.00 bucks a piece!!! and would have to be ordered of course.So off to the pick and pull to see if I can find some usable ones that I can clean up.Got a price from one of the p/p for 10 bucks each,but of course they can't tell me if they have any and I have to jack the vans up myself to get them off.

Question is anyone know what yr vans I should look at to get the part??.I don't have the old dust shields off and won't when I go to the junk yard tomorrow.

Second question is what tools (sizes of sockets) that I should take with me to get them off??.I assume already that I need the torx for the calipers,crescent wrench for the spindle nuts and dikes for the cotter pins,lug wrench and scissor jack.Not sure what the size is for the bolts that hold on the dust shield.Any thing I am forgetting here??.

Rochester,NY

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I wouldn't bother with them. The ones on my truck were destroyed when the front end was rebuilt and I now have none. The brakes work the same either way.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:I wouldn't bother with them. The ones on my truck were destroyed when the front end was rebuilt and I now have none. The brakes work the same either way.
I took the ones off of my Crown Vic on all 4 wheels when they got rusty. No problems.

Do the ABS sensors mount on the spindle or on the shield? I can't remember, that would be my only concern.

I wish you were closer, Gary. Seems I always have what you need: wheels, no window doors, brake shields. lol.

You still have my 4.3 4bbl intake and carb, so I guess were even.

Topic author
1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

rlsllc wrote:
LiftedAWDAstro wrote:I wouldn't bother with them. The ones on my truck were destroyed when the front end was rebuilt and I now have none. The brakes work the same either way.
I took the ones off of my Crown Vic on all 4 wheels when they got rusty. No problems.

Do the ABS sensors mount on the spindle or on the shield? I can't remember, that would be my only concern.

I wish you were closer, Gary. Seems I always have what you need: wheels, no window doors, brake shields. lol.

You still have my 4.3 4bbl intake and carb, so I guess were even.

I have been in your neighborhood twice before.Once to tow home Ole Yellar and to Blaser's to get the donor.I have also sent parts to SafriRob.If you send those dust shields to me(I pay for the parts and shipping) two things happen.First it get me tons closer to taking the Ole Yellar off the road and to taking the Carb'ed 4.3 out of it.Now about those rear no window doors,please send some pic's.What condition are they in??.Maybe we could work something out for the whole Ole Yellar engine. :-k :-k What big city are you near in Ohio??. :-k

BTW-the run to the junk yard was for nothing.I called them and they told me what time they where closing and when I got there they where closed early for good Friday.Grrrrrrrr ](*,)

Rochester,NY

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

I'll have to see if I can get to them this weekend, I'm working (if you can call it that, lol) today.
The rear doors are solid, in OK shape, I'll see if I can snap some pics. The slider has some damage (a crease in the lower rear), but was solid last time I checked.
They are on a 1994 no window shorty that has a bad trans. Ran good when parked a year ago, haven't stared it since. I'd take $500 for the whole van, or we could work out some kind of trade. I'll even put a set of those dreaded LT alloys on it, lol.
That 4bbl 4.3 would be perfect for my 1981 Monte. It has a DOG 3.8 in it.

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

I'm not really near a big city, google 43005 or Bladensburg, Ohio. to see where I am.

Topic author
1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

I do kind of remember a exit for your town when I went to Marty's place.I have a no window slider I got from Dean.If I was interested in yours,it would be solely for the purpose of having a sample to hook up the rods inside of the one I have.I am not interested in having another van here for sure.The rear no window doors,and considering posts of not replacing the dust shields,maybe those dust shields would be the only interest I might have.Honestly,I had hopes of offing the sub frame and engine once I removed the one from Ole Yellar keeping the tranny from it.It is because of storage space or lack of it,is the reason why I would want to make that move soon after I take the sub/engine out.Ole Yellar has been a good starter with one press to the gas peddle even threw the cold weather.It does start slow sometimes if warm,but it it starts.My point here is the carb was rebuilt just before I bought the van and the choke was set right for sure.It has had from day one a leaky rear main seal and I have just been adding oil as needed.I think the Alt needs to be replaced even through it seems to keep the battery charged.Given the swap, I didn't want to spend money on this 4.3 engine,etc.

All this aside,please do post pic's of the rear doors.I have had a line on a J/Y for no window doors(no rust) which was going to be my game plan once I was ready to buy them.But maybe some sort of trade could make a trip to you worth it.

Of course to meet you would be pretty cool too. =D>

Gar

I did look up your location on Yahoo and it would be a 7 hour'er one way.But as everyone knows,I have done worse before. :muhaha:

Rochester,NY

Topic author
1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Today I got the rotors,grease seals,hoses,and went to the j/y to get dust shields.So I have now all the parts and the brake job will be coming up next.

Rochester,NY

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

1Gary wrote:
You'll eat your words on that one, LOL. :poke: Other than Mic, who I bought 2 vans from and lives 500 miles form me in St Louis, I don't think I've met anyone from the board. My wife met Logan and said he was cool. No pics yet :toimonster: I've had a lot of problems lately ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) I'll be posting something about it all later.

All kidding aside, I'd like to meet you too. You seem like an older version of myself. Bull headed, stubborn, full of wild ideas, etc. All good traits. :cheers:

Topic author
1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

rlsllc wrote:
1Gary wrote:
You'll eat your words on that one, LOL. :poke: Other than Mic, who I bought 2 vans from and lives 500 miles form me in St Louis, I don't think I've met anyone from the board. My wife met Logan and said he was cool. No pics yet :toimonster: I've had a lot of problems lately ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) I'll be posting something about it all later.

All kidding aside, I'd like to meet you too. You seem like an older version of myself. Bull headed, stubborn, full of wild ideas, etc. All good traits. :cheers:

I think you met Blazer too when he went to Chops for the van.

Rochester,NY

Topic author
1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Here is a update just short of a yr later.First I want to be very clear that I do think this conversion improves braking and that I do not beat on my vehicles.The trade off it seems the larger pad does wear a stock rotor faster.I recently had the driver's side wheel off to put in spark plugs and it seems I could either turn the rotor or replace it.I don't turn rotors or brake drums,so I will be replacing it with new pads to match.I'll grab some pictures when I do this job.But it is fairly wore out.And before you say it,yes the caliper wasn't hung or stuck on the pins.

Rochester,NY